HybridZ

Intake Manifold Fittings Thread Sizes?

ryan95i4

Dont have the car right in front of me at the moment, but wanting to clean up some vacuum lines. Does anyone know offhand what size the threaded vacuum inlets on the N42 intake manifold are?

Ive circled the main 3 in question in the attached pictures.

Thanks,

post-28096-090413800 1340311006_thumb.jpg

post-28096-086054900 1340311017_thumb.jpg

Are you just wanting to go with AN fittings to clean it up, or delete them all together??

Because as far as I can tell they are your brake booster, fuel pressure and BOV lines.

Exactly, I want to lose the brass nipples and convert to AN fittings, was hoping someone knew what size they were so I could go ahead and order them online and have them ready to go when i get to my car this weekend.

Edited by ryan95i4

Its all standard pipe thread.Remove the nipples you want to replace with plugs and take them to the hardware store with you.

There are many different standards for pipe threads. All Z pipe threads are BSPT, not the common NPT. The differences between NPT and BSPT lie in the geometry of the threads themselves (angle). Pitch and diameter are equal so they'll thread in the same hole, but they likely won't be air tight.

There are many different standards for pipe threads. All Z pipe threads are BSPT, not the common NPT. The differences between NPT and BSPT lie in the geometry of the threads themselves (angle). Pitch and diameter are equal so they'll thread in the same hole, but they likely won't be air tight.

Would not have known this, thanks!

A cheap set of Harbor Freight NPT Taps solves all those problems Leon mentions.

No, they ain't the greatest, but for the soft aluminum they work just fine!

Any reason I couldnt use something like this:

http://www.discounthydraulichose.com/9063_JIC_37_x_BSPT_p/9063.htm

Aren't JIC and AN interchangeable in lower pressure setups? I know AN is built to higher tolerances, but isnt JIC the commercial variant? Both are 37* flares

You can either use Tony's method, or just buy some BSPT plugs if you're only looking to seal holes. I use local places like certain Ace Hardware locations, Bowlin Equipment, or Global Metric (no, I'm not affiliated with these place, just a heads up to those in the area), I don't know if they have websites so I just linked to Yelp.

I'm sure you can find some online if you don't have specialty hardware stores nearby. There are a bunch in my area, but you never know until you look.