HybridZ

280 swap no spark

Alright guys im having a really tough time getting spark, ive checked and double checked every ground and every splice for the cause but still nothing. The car is a 76 280 and the motor is the l28et out of an 81. It was running untill i went around and redid the wiring the right way. Could it be the ECU? the little green light is on so i know its getting power but the coil isnt sending spark to the plugs.

Any ideas? Thanks

If the coil is getting power at the terminals, you can test for spark with a ground wire on the negative post. If it sparks, then figure out why the ignitor is not igniting, either it's not getting a signal from the ECU or it's broken.

The 81 FSM has test procedures for the 81 turbo components also if you're not really sure how the spark is created.

Did it work before the HEI swap (probably not, I assume)? How did you do the HEI swap, if you're working with an 81 turbo ECU in a 76 car? Did you use skittle's instructions from zcar.com?

Have you used a volt/ohm meter on anything yet? That's what you want to start doing. Then you'll know. A couple of simple measurements will tell you a lot. You can get a cheap meter for $6 at Harbor Freight, if you don't have one.

• 1 month later...

I have the same spark problem. It turn on when I did the first start and then I cleaned up the wires ruling them

Under the fuel rail n connecting the maf n doing the intercooler pluming and no spark. I also have the HEI on mine.

With my 81 l28et swap on my 75 280z.