HybridZ

Nissan Remanufactured Motor

ryan95i4

Looking at a Nissan remanufactured motor, is it was possible anywhere to look up the serial number to find out more (build date, sell date, build specs, etc).

Here is the part no/serial no plate on the motor

IMG_20120623_132600.jpg

Ive found the part number online (with a list price of nearly $3K, wow! for a factory rebuild!) and its obviously no longer available and tagged as discountined, but I cant seem to find any way of tracking down serial numbers to find out specifics. Maybe its not possible, but figured it was worth asking about at least.

Thanks,

Edited by ryan95i4

"So it should probably have an N42 or N47 head, correct?"

To paraphrase Shep Proudfoot from "Fargo": "Don't know that, never said that, can't vouch for that!"

It has what head it has. Why guess or try to state anything without knowing what Nissan Supplied?

I derived the conclusion from the 1978 vintage on an L28, wasn't projecting from your post. That's why I threw a "probably" in. How about "So it shouldn't have a P79 or P90 head, correct?"

Just providing clues for the OP so he can calculate the probability that the engine hasn't been remanned again since 1978. In a general kind of way, eh?

That tag signifies it was the 1,906th engine produced during Showa Year 53 (1978)---after that, I doubt anything else is discernable other than indeed, it was a factory exchange engine.

How sure are you on the year?

I ask because its a F54 block. I can snag a pic of the stamping on the block if needed, but its there. I thought F54's werent made until '81 (just referencing the xenons30 site)?

Newzed - It has a P90a head, but like i said, its a f54 block, not a n42 block... hmm...

Edited by ryan95i4

You know, by the crinkling, that sticker looks like it's been removed and replaced. Maybe someone ran a scam using that engine.

Look through a plug hole and see if it has flat tops or dished pistons. That will give you a clue on if it's a turbo or NA engine. Assuming, of course, it's not just a mish-mash of parts.

53+25=78...

Then again, service replacement blocks were shipped without serial numbers just "L24" "L26" or "L28"

What difference does it make, really? Morbid curiosity?

What is the number on the pad on the starter side of the engine>right after "L28"? Or is there anything there?

53+25=78...

Then again, service replacement blocks were shipped without serial numbers just "L24" "L26" or "L28"

What is the number on the pad on the starter side of the engine>right after "L28"? Or is there anything there?

Curiosity is all, motor is strong with perfect compression on all 6 cylinders.

I'll check out the starter side when i have a chance, hopefully today at lunch.

Thanks Tony

53+25=78...

L28 R902746

There you have it: "L28 R902746 " That "R" is 'Remanufactured' from a new block assembly as opposed to something like an ATK where the original Engine Serial Number is maintained.

Though one would wonder why the tag doesn't match...

There you have it: "L28 R902746 " That "R" is 'Remanufactured' from a new block assembly as opposed to something like an ATK where the original Engine Serial Number is maintained.

Though one would wonder why the tag doesn't match...

Definitely odd, not sure what to make of it

Thanks for the insight Tony, much appreciated as always :)