HybridZ

Crazy accident

galderdi

I recently purchased a brand new Nissan Narvara. I picked it up the same day my Landcruiser died (burnt valve caused a backfire that blew the airflow meter).

For three months the landcruiser has been in my backyard while I removed bits, had bits fixed and then re-assembled it, Sunday last week I got the Landcruiser going and moved it from the backyard for the first time in three months. I parked it perfectly parallel to the new narvara ready to be sold. Then at 1 am Tuesday morning (less than 2 days after I moved it) I hear a god almighty "BANG!!!!!". I woke instantly with my heart in my mouth.

Some turkey reckons he fell asleep at the wheel. He has crossed the wrong side of the road, managed to miss some poles and a bus shelter. I think he woke as he hit the mound near the bus shelter, then locked his brakes and skidded about 80 yards missing a power pole, but hitting a bollard and then my cruiser.

Keep in mind my driveway is about 30 yards long so he has travelled a long way to hit my cruiser.

The 3 tonne cruiser travelled about 3 feet under hilux power :)

I am sooooooo glad I got the cruiser running and moved it otherwise the narava would not be new anymore.

1.bmp

2.bmp

3.bmp

Nissan Navara = Nissan Frontier

Love that Turf Shot! PRICELESS!

Maybe time to put up some 2m tall 30cm diameter concrete-filled pipe-posts sunk so only 'axle height' nubs stick up to defend your property!

Make it look castellated!biggrin.gif

Thats funny I already considered a moat. But I only won $30 on the lotto ticket I purchased that day, not enough for the moat or the c.

He did take out one of the 10 inch bollards concreted into the ground. But it just pulled out of the ground.

I was once approached up in Lytle Creek by a BLM Officer because I had my bed-crane in my dually and nylon straps picking up granite boulders.

Guy was upset, "What the hell do you think you're doing?"

I showed him my 'rock permit' (They issue a permit and you can go pick all the rocks you want out of this huge wash...)

Starts telling me it was a "ROCK permit, not a BOULDER permit!"

I said "what's that?" (pointed to a rock at his feet) "what, that rock?"

"Yeah, what's this?" (pointing to about a 3' diameter rock in my sling halfway into my bed)

"That's a boulder"

"And by definition a boulder is a ROCK! You are going to stand here and tell me I can fill this bed LEVEL EVEN with 'those' (point to his feet) and come back as many times in the day as I want to do that...ad infinitum, but I can't take SIX rocks of this size to keep idiots from rolling through my fence and into my living room? I mean HOW MANY OF THESE DO YOU THINK I CAN PUT IN HERE AT ANY GIVEN TIME?"

We actually had to go BACK to the ranger station and the head guy said "Let the guy take his damn ROCKS, he got a permit, it's not like he hired a crane to pick out something big that supports the road or anything!" Ranger started arguing I WAS using a CRANE to remove them! (apparently there is some issue about 'artificial harvesting') Guy goes and sees my Harbor Freight Crane in the back of the truck and scratches his head... before he can say anything I blurt out:

"Hey, that is just to EASILY get them into the truck bed SAFELY. The three of us got to move them MANUALLY in the bed, and if we have to we will just roll them up planks into the bed. We AREN'T taking anything bigger than three guys could move manually! Or would you rather have us slip halfway up a ramp break a leg and then have to respond out there in all those rocks?"

Guy says---"If he's moving them manually, then that crane is of no issue, leave him alone!"

And we WERE rolling the rocks to the truck, I wasn't driving out into that crap just to get them easily!rolleyes.gif

Rocks are good, and cheap. But sometimes you got to deal with bureaucrats even then! Would you need council approval to put a moat in? Or the castellated posts... A combination of the three could look 'council approvable'! tongue.gif

Hmm, looks like an older Hilux there :D 80's or 90's 2wd?

Navaras are good, but I liked the old D21 over the new ones... Smaller and nimbler with the same load bed rating, even if the towball rating was lower.

Yes its was a Toyota Surf. Which is a Hilux / Forerunner variation here. I think it was a 90s model.

The Narvara is a D22 which they still sell even though there is a newer design (D40). The tow ball rating is pretty good on the D22 2.8 Tonne. The only thing I think they should have improved was the gearing. It would really benefit from the 6 speed box fitted to the D40.

I like the idea of the boulder/s. I probably only need one or two if I place them strategically. But then again I do need to retain access to my back yard.

Never mind the Chinese address, I'm just working here, as the name says, I'm a kiwi.

They aren't selling the d22 in NZ anymore, just the newer, larger model.

I have a 1985 4wd hilux surf with the old first gen fiberglass roof over the rear seats back in nz on mum's farm.

Never mind the Chinese address, I'm just working here, as the name says, I'm a kiwi.

They aren't selling the d22 in NZ anymore, just the newer, larger model.

I have a 1985 4wd hilux surf with the old first gen fiberglass roof over the rear seats back in nz on mum's farm.

C'Mon Man! You've seen the EXACT Chinese knockoff's of the D21 & D22 currently sold there! I think "Great Wall" and "Wingle" are two of the names I've seen on them.

Fill a container and ship 'em home!

RHD... LHD...

Can't register chinese cars in New Zealand. any LHD car less than 20 years old has to be listed in a motoring publication that is not a club newletter (Top Gear UK 500,000 readers, not Nowheresville Camry Club, 3 members/readers) as beeing a collectable. Must have 2 doors and be a passenger vehicle.

Even after all that there are only a few hundred LHD permits issued in a calendar year, and are all used and gone by the end of the first week of January.

So a Viper or Corvette would make it in, but not a light utility truck.

Once they are over 20 years... Anyone can bring in a LHD vehicle then so classic american muscle and old ferraris are around, but very few new LHD cars.

NZ is a RHD country, same as Japan.

There are some Great Wall models in NZ, but not Navara clones.

Given the number of D21's still going strong in NZ, it's easier to pick up an older ute. I had one I was going to put a 4.4 V8 Torana motor in, but ended up selling it when we moved farms rather than ship it all that way between islands.

Saw the advert for Great Wall "Wingle" and "CoolBear" in the Manila Bulletin today.

Hmmmm, "Great Wall cB" would be my bet on the tagging... not that they are copying Scion directly like the Wingle copies Nissan...

I guess by indirect default, according to the Advert, Nissan has in actuality had 'The best selling Pickup in China the last 13 Consecutive Years'!!!

How come I think these are the automotive equivalent of the E-Bay GT35R....dry.gif

great-wall-coolbear-03.jpg

For the SAUDI market to displace the Suburban similarly-doored:

great-wall-wingle-07.jpg

great-wall-wingle-11.jpg

Wingle, successor to "The Deer"

great-wall-deer-02.jpg

great-wall-deer-07.jpg

Edited by Tony D

Oh I forgot to mention. The Landcruiser has an LPG conversion. Meaning it has a 75 litre gas tank behind the rear wheels. After the accident my neihbour got his lighter out and was using it as a torch to inspect the damage around the rear wheel. It could have ended up as an entry in the Darwin awards.

I know its not likely as those tanks are built to take a beating but still....what an idiot.