HybridZ

03' cobra motor, jefus!!! (vid)

Guest Anonymous

My friend's shop has a standing offer - first 03 Cobra to come in gets a free dyno session. They want to know how well it'll run and do a little development work on it. Exhaust is supposed to be worth 60HP and a pulley some more. :D This will be one SICK beast when it gets out there but beware - several posts on the Mustang boards have been about Cobras with LOW mileage that have had engine problems :( Dunno' the outcome of those stories...

Guest Anonymous

just for kicks check out the lingenfelter i posted in the chevy board! In the meantime heres another one.....http://www-personal.umich.edu/~otalh/V/LidioNotch03DynoLOUD.mpg Notice the guy on the side covers one ear, then finally figures out the car so louder he has to cover both!

franklin

one of the salesmen at the ford dealer where i work bought a new cobra -but is is a convertable.even though i work at a ford dealer i would by a new z06 vette-that mustang gained 300 lbs with the blower.they had to put an iron block,forged rods,forged pistons to hopefully make it stay together.the guy already wants me to put headrs and exhaust on it-you have to pull the front subframe to get the headers in.i like to go to the track-like laguna or thunderhill.a mustang will never handle /drive like a vette.the front is too heavy.

Ya' with a Lightning pulley they're traping @ 117! These suckers are going to fly with a decent exhaust and intake on them - Ford corked them up to get past Federal Drive By Noise Standards! The blower is apparently pretty noisy so everything else got choked. SupraForums has a vid of one running high 12s at 117mph with just a Lightning pulley. Sweet!

That car in this vid is an older FOX body - the motor does fit just fine. Not seen one on the street but it would be pretty cool to own IMO.

And no, you do NOT have to drop a subframe to put headers in the 4.6 Cobra Mustang. My friend's shop does them OFTEN and while the long tubes are a bitch to install I've yet to see him drop a subframe. The long tubes also don't do squat for power over shorties - dyno confirmed - but on these supercharged cars that might be different. Longtubes cost a ton and the added cost to install has made them a poor investment until now, I'll be VERY interested to see what they do on a new Cobra. There are at least two in my area now but neither has come in for a free dyno check at the shop.

Supposedly you can pick up close to 60HP with a good exhaust and one mag found 15RWHP with a good intake. That's just plain sick! Road tests claim it handles well - neutral - so until there are more reports out there I wouldn't run out for that Z06 just yet. Heck, they're even selling at sticker price and not jacked to the moon, bonus! What's a Z06 cost these days? I think the Cobra coupe's are coming in at $35K?

P.S. The iron block was B.S. - I cannot believe they did that! They've held 650+RWHP and for this Ford claims they needed an iron block?! There's got to be more to this. Cost maybe? Harmonics with the blower? Hrm... There have also been reports of failures in these cars already but I don't know how widespread it is or what exactly the problems were. Hopefully just a onesy twosey teething thing.

Guest Anonymous

The new Z06 is over $51,000.00 here in Cheyenne, Wy. We've yet to see a '03 Cobra, but the local Ford dealer swears that they'll be in the $35-37,000.00 area. I doubt that it'll handle like a Z06, but with all that money left over you could do a lot to rectify the problem.

• 4 weeks later...

My parents are going down to south to go pick one up. It does handle pretty well though. .9 g's on the skidpad stock. We're talking about redoing the exhaust. We thought about a 15HP gain, but according to everyone it sounds like more (pun intented). The Accufab single throttle body. It made 30HP on a blown '99 Cobra. Cold air intake with K&N. We thought about 10HP there. Lastly, we'd go with a new MAF, I don't know how much gain. Oh, and we are seriously thinking about installing a pre-oiler to reduce engine wear. Then again, it is my mom's car, so I don't know how much will get done. I think it will only be done when she's at work and when my dad gets home early on Fridays. ;)

Anyway, my V8 Z should smoke it though when I'm done.

zya-if the 2003 cobra you saw at the track was a convertable it belongs to a sales man at work.i work at big valley ford.he sent it down to la to ahave a bunch of stuff put on it.i didnt want to work on it cause that guy is a d^&* and he doesnt want to pay even though a good month he make 10 g selling cars.since he had a bunch of aftermarkit stuff done we wont do warrenty work on it now anyway.i run the smog dyno-bring your car by sometime.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Yeah, sorry to post so late, but the monkey blower thing is a decent comment. Unfortunately any monkey with a blower can't make a motor to withstand 900 crank HP though. They are proving these motors to be tough. The 5.0 cammer is making some power though and that's w/o the blower.

• 2 weeks later...

It believe it was one of the hotrod Ford Mustang Mags: dont actually remember as I looked at about 6 different mags yesturday.

Anyway-there were pictures of two brand new Focuses that a California Chassis Shop installed both a 4.6 DOHC in one and a 5.0L in the other Focus.

The article called them FOCI (instead of Focuses) :lol: . The underscore stated that both the 4.6 DOHC & 5.0L swap was surprisingly simple, required no engine bay alterations :shock: & that the engine actually bolted in WITHOUT ANY WELDING. Of course the "No Cutting/Welding" doesnt count for the passenger floor board nor the install of a rear diff.

Kevin,

(Yea,Still an Inliner)

• 2 months later...