HybridZ

Pull straps in an S30?

DeLorean

One of these days I plan on buying new door skins for my S30 and I got to thinking that pull straps might be kind of neat, like you see in a lot of Porsches:

I like the idea of a "shaved" door panel, has anyone ever done this or have an photo of it? I've never been a big fan of the armrests in these cars, couple that with an electric window kit and I'm envisioning only the door handle at the bottom, a pull strap and nothing else. I might have to photoshop something like that...

Seems "cheap" to me, like someone couldn't design a proper door pull, or didn't want to fix a broken one properly.

It would be very simple to do, probably take a about 5 minutes in total to make and install a strap for both sides. The anchor point could be one of the existing arm rest screw holes.

I'd agree if the door panel in use was ratty and/or "custom" made, but I plan to have a clean and uncut door panel. Also it comes down to materials used and how it is presented; it would look terribly cheap if I just bolted it right to the door panel with an exposed bolt. I plan on running the strap through the door panel and will need some sort of finishing plate to hide the seam in the panel. I also found a place that gave me an awesome quote for making these straps in real Alcantara.

I'm worried that the armrest spot might be too low and the strap would either get stuck or it might be awkward to close the door properly. These are all things I will test.

Edited by DeLorean

Even the Porsche pull looks cheap and "unfinished" to me, it's just a design element that I've never liked and can't see ever liking in any execution. Actual arm rest or molded door pull looks much more thought out and finished to me. Like the door pull on the passenger door of an (early) S30, is far and away above a soft looped door pull in aesthetics and finished look.