HybridZ

Custom Chin splitter

logan1

Ok so i have decided to try and make a custom chin splitter for my 240z. I found a rather flat spoiler on craigslist and am going to use it as the

IMG_0821.jpg

here we go:

test fitting the spoiler without any modification.

IMG_0832.jpg

IMG_0833-1.jpg

Edited by logan1

Great progress so far! I like the idea of using the (cheap) spray foam as opposed to foam core. The splitter looks good and you will hold it in place how? I'm curious about the bracing you will use.

Davy

Great progress so far! I like the idea of using the (cheap) spray foam as opposed to foam core. The splitter looks good and you will hold it in place how? I'm curious about the bracing you will use.

Davy

Have not deccided exactly how i am going to hold the slitter in place yet. I know I'll need a bit more support than the urethane air-dam will provide. Maybe i can use a set of L-brackets mounted off the stock horn location.

You could have skipped any foam use and applied the fibreglass against the cardboard.

I thought about that but then decided to foam it and try for a more level/integrated look then the raised look i would have gotten by glassing over the cardboard.

You could have use a stronger foam such as the the Blue foam insulation panels used for siding at your local hardware, and fiberglass over it.

I'm not using the foam as a structural member; it is there to provide a shape for the fiberglass. It should work well for its intended purpose.

Edited by logan1

I thought about that but then decided to foam it and try for a more level/integrated look then the raised look i would have gotten by glassing over the cardboard.

I think he means to the back side/inside of the cardboard

I think he means to the back side/inside of the cardboard

^^Yes, this.

I've done it more than a few times, for one off parts, that needed modifications like this. I've used carboard, plastics, metals, and a few other materials for temporary forms.

Progress on the chin splitter has been impeded by the V8 swap that I’m doing concurrently. I was able to get a few minutes yesterday to cut the foam to shape and do an initial glass.

IMG_0888.jpg

IMG_0887.jpg

IMG_0890.jpg

I'll try and get it sanded down abd ready for body filler tonight or this weekend.

• 2 months later...

Bunch of stuff can up at work n in life. So after an extended break i got back to working on the splitter. I got all the filler sanded down and marked the spots that needed more filler. I did not bother with the quality of finish with the inner edges as those parts will never be visible. I shot the splitter with some rattle can paint. Its not perfect but i think its good enough for my first attempt.

IMAG0026.jpg

IMAG0057.jpg

IMAG0059.jpg

IMAG0060.jpg

IMAG0064.jpg

IMAG0065.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Bunch of stuff can up at work n in life. So after an extended break i got back to working on the splitter. I got all the filler sanded down and marked the spots that needed more filler. I did not bother with the quality of finish with the inner edges as those parts will never be visible. I shot the splitter with some rattle can paint. Its not perfect but i think its good enough for my first attempt.

IMAG0026.jpg

IMAG0057.jpg

IMAG0059.jpg

IMAG0060.jpg

IMAG0064.jpg

IMAG0065.jpg

Looks like carp! sooooo you should send it to me and start over :) Great job it looks really nice