HybridZ

RB20det

Stevemd24

It can be done. Your best bet though is to drive to a specialty AC shop. I know there are 2 in Sacramento, but that is the extent of my knowledge there. A shop that can make you lines. If you can figure out how to retrofit newer lines onto your car(Even 260Z lines) and install an evaporator under the dash(either passenger side style or later styles behind the center panel) you will only need to buy a few things new. Provided you have the RB20 compressor and its in good shape, you will need the lines made to adapt the compressor to the chassis lines and a new desiccant can(receiver dryer). Im going to ditch the stock Condenser on my 260Z in favor of a newer more efficient aluminum core, but keep the old evaporator. Im up in the air about keeping the original expansion valve with a fixed orifice system though. I am told the system will work well with R134a without doing all the extra modifications Im thinking off. At the same time, Im looking to keep the parts modern enough so that I can walk in and replace them as needed without the hassles of finding old outdated parts.

One tip I can give you is look into AC system cleaners. You system will need to be cleaned out because of the nature of old used components. Once its clean the system can be readied to be tested and charged.

Some of the old timer AC guys are the best people to talk to about your questions.

1 of the things I have done on engine swaps is to cut the crimped on lines(that aluminum crimp hose clamp)off with a die grinder/cutting wheel .then get some bulk hose of the correct i.d. and install the parts back into the car and slid on the new correct length hoses that you made.If you take your new hoses the a a/c shop or hydraulic hose shop they can put new crimps on to your custom fit hose.If you can find the original a/c compressor from the rb20 mount it and work from the motor to the car.

I'm finally glad to see some renewed interest in installing A/C in our RB swaps, no matter what chassis they're in. Living in Texas almost requires A/C and I've been basically backed against a brick wall on this matter. Yes, I know I have to get custom lines for my S130, but what else would have to be modified? Could i remove the expansion vale as said above?

rayaapp2'

My car is currently in sac getting some upgraded wiring, what ac guy would you suggest?

The swap is already done but there is something wonky with it and i am having a professional look it over....

I have zero ac parts from a z or an rb, so it might be a little bit of a chore to get ac in the car, But you have to love ac in the summer time :)

rayaapp2'

My car is currently in sac getting some upgraded wiring, what ac guy would you suggest?

The swap is already done but there is something wonky with it and i am having a professional look it over....

I have zero ac parts from a z or an rb, so it might be a little bit of a chore to get ac in the car, But you have to love ac in the summer time :)

Polar Bear Auto Care

Hals Auto Care

Polar Bear has Datsun AC parts available to order new still and only a day or so out if I remember correctly if you need a new receiver dryer.

If I had to piece complete system together I would probably go to a company like vintage air and just replace all the old z stuff with better parts that flow more air with less horse power used.R134 is being phased out so if i was going to spend money on a system I would find out what the new refregerent will be.

• 1 month later...

The hardest part for me was the sway bar. If you use all the stock RB mounts and compressor and all, you need to add a 1 inch spacer in the mount of the bar with shorter end links because the tensioner bracket and pulley occupy the exact same space as the middle of the sway bar.