HybridZ

Drag wheel size with flares

I have seen folks do fine (7 second 1/8 mile) with 235/60/15 MT ET Street Drag radials on the 1981-1983 ZXT "Swashtica" 15X6 wheel. That is a good fit for Drag Radials. I have a set of 4 of those wheels that are pretty rough, but I used them and I'd be happy to part with them for the going rate. I need to sell them.

I currently have 7" 4-stud Weld Draglites on the back (4 holes are for Mustang, 4 holes are for imports). Since you are flared, I recommend that you go to at least an 8" wheel. Go for the 4.5" back spacing since you have flares-that will keep you off your strut tube by about 1/2 inch. To increase to 8" I will have to get the 5.5" BS and install longer studs and a spacer to keep centered between my strut and un-cut fenders. The best fit for slicks is a MT ET Drag 26X8.5X15. That is what I'm running; 28X8.5X15 is what jnjdragracing is doing his wheelstands with (same tread width). I'm running 15X4 Weld draglites on the front with 155/80/15 radial TAs; I have 24X4.5X15 MT ET bias ply front runners on order.

PM Colt45... with the yellow sub-7 second Z. He has run some sort of Toyota celica supra 15X7 wheel if you want to go budget.

Edited by RebekahsZ

An 8" wheel(0 offset) will fit with stock suspension and stock fenders, I could probably go to a 9" with my coilovers, but things would get tight and offset would get very important.

I speak american.

Backspace?

With my coilovers, I could mount the 8.5" slick with as much as 4.75" BS, perhaps even 4.875. Unfortunately, the Weld wheels only come in 3.5, 4.5, and 5.5, etc BSs - no 4.75 or 5.0. The unknown value is how wide the tire "section" is on whatever tire you use since the tire is closer to the coil spring than the rim. The tire section on my 8.5" slicks is 9.3" if I recall. Summit and Jegs lists the section width and other specs of most popular slicks so you can see what the width of your current tires are and get a pretty good estimate of how much tire you could fit. Lay your tires on the floor and use a ruler and a straight edge to get a pretty good estimate of what you already have. Remember (as you well know), you don't need that much width - the tires do the job thru compound.

Great chart, by the way. Printed and saved for future use.

Edited by RebekahsZ

With my coilovers, I could mount the 8.5" slick with as much as 4.75" BS, perhaps even 4.875. Unfortunately, the Weld wheels only come in 3.5, 4.5, and 5.5, etc BSs - no 4.75 or 5.0. The unknown value is how wide the tire "section" is on whatever tire you use since the tire is closer to the coil spring than the rim. The tire section on my 8.5" slicks is 9.3" if I recall. Summit and Jegs lists the section width and other specs of most popular slicks so you can see what the width of your current tires are and get a pretty good estimate of how much tire you could fit. Lay your tires on the floor and use a ruler and a straight edge to get a pretty good estimate of what you already have. Remember (as you well know), you don't need that much width - the tires do the job thru compound.

Great chart, by the way. Printed and saved for future use.

Yeah, The only reason I was wanting to go larger, is because of the look. If Im going to buy wheels, I'd prefer that they'll fill out the wheel well. Also, WHY ARE THERE NO GOOD LOOKING DRAG WHEELS IN A 4 LUG? Its annoying. I would LOVE to put a set of Weld RT-S's on there, they are SEXY!

Basically it looks like I'm limited to a stock size, or a draglite (ew). If i could find some old fabled 4 lug prostars I'd be happy.

I just did some searching.... Weld makes a baller wheel, but only in honda sizes (4x100)

Edited by SUNNY Z

There's always something like this. http://www.summitracing.com/parts/CLM-5335825-4/

They're CHEAP and I don't think they look terrible.

Hmm. I don't think they're any worse than draglites.

Question is, are they worth a

5463041790_4b5e3e8303.jpg

Take THAT forum lol.

I wonder what they weigh?

Edited by SUNNY Z

WIth coilovers and AZC rear control arms i had 15X10 with 5.5 inch BS on my Z back in the day. ran it with BFG 275X50X15 DR and overfenders. looked pretty good if you ask me. I'll be damned if i cant find pics of it right now ;<

Z-Gad and I are talkin tires on my thread in the Motorsports sub forum. He had 10" wherls on a 9 second car (1/4 mile) Shame you don't like draglines. They are an easy solution and they are much lighter than my Rotas. Pricey though. You could always spray paint them or put a spun aluminum disk on them like a bonneville car. I would stick with a 4.5 back spacing. Will give you 3/8" clearance from coilover spring perch regardless of tire.

• 1 month later...

Hey sunny. Ever think about maybe a rota aleica or the shakotan? They both offer a 15x9 with a -15 offset which puts it at roughly 4 3/8 backspacing. I think with a decent tire like a 275 50 15, it should clear the suspension nicely and fill the zg flares. Just a thought. Would be a nice alternative to draglites and they look good also.