HybridZ

R200 Vibration Issues

duragg

There is a good reason why I am in sales...

Removed driveshaft= no vibration (surprise)

Hard to get consistent measurements

1) rear of driveshaft pointed up 5 degrees above horizntal

Diffy flange pointes down 5 degrees from hz

Tranny flange pointed up 6 from hz

2) But some other times I got diffy down 4 and tranny up 7 (Facing each other so really they are close to in-phase., off by 3?)

3) Next I got 88 degrees up tranny, 87 up shaft, 88 up diffy (all meaning front to rear on this one)

Terminoligy is tricky. Using the same face of the digital protractor is tricky for each.

Beer please.

More data:

The stock mount has the diffy mount flanges about 1" above the cross member.

I think with the R/T or AZC solit that is less, more like 1/2"

From the website:

The Energy Suspension top-mount places the front of the differential slightly lower than when stock, and the original bottom mount must be removed. This change in geometry is not significant in stock applications, but leads to slightly better driveshaft angularity with typical V8 applications.

Edited by duragg

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes because you can keep the Level in the same relative position. Otherwise you have to turn the level around, and backwards, or sideways and you know they read a little different each way it seems. Or the indications are different and just introduces error.

I suspect I will end up owing JM and others lunch for hitting the nail on the head. I was pretty sure the wiggly things were more suspicious.

Through all this process, now I know a ****-ton (shitton) more about driveline than I ever did. A great new learning event.

Tj

PS: I like shitake mushrooms.

Edited by duragg

So...

Can i just use spacer washers and drop the mustache bar down a bit to correct mty geometry?

Honestly I might have gotten the mustache bushings installed wrong when I put it all in making it even worse.

I was just excited to get it all in at that time.

Tj

Edited by duragg

I have the "Technoversions" R/T mount with Energy bushing.

I am ESTIMATING, this setup lowers the pinion about 1/2" compared to a stock mount.

I have a stock tranny mount, but that would need to go UP? to match the angle of the lower pinion flange??

Or drop the rear of the diffy by spacing down the Mustache bar some to close the angles gap (I LOVE This idea because it is easy...).

Edited by duragg

How do you know the techno version lowers the pinion?

Just curious because I ordered one today . I played with driveline angles until my back hurt and I need to lower my pinion about that much and that would make my job so easy!!!!!!

I thought the techno version was supposed to put the diff in the original position

IF you use the Energy Bushing:

The Energy Suspension top-mount places the front of the differential slightly lower than when stock, and the original bottom mount must be removed. This change in geometry is not significant in stock applications, but leads to slightly better driveshaft angularity with typical V8 applications.

Plus I have a stock mount which looks like it places the top of the transverse mount about 1" away from the bottom of the 2 circular flanges on the diffy.

Just wagging, but the mount today is about 1/2".

RT / Energy Mount position.

post-1894-069230500 1345586910_thumb.jpg

I don't see a problem with spacing the mustache bar down to correct the angles. The bar takes a lot of load, so it and the mounts have to be strong. Be sure you've got a full nut with the spacers in place.

jt

RT TECHNO installed and angles came out less then 1 degree!

No vibration at lower speed, try the fast stuff later.

I still think the high speed was the halfshaft, but since I had 2 things going at once, hard to tell.

That RT mount was a super tight fit, I barely got it in there. I had to beat it into submission.

Well I didn't fix the high speed vibration. It seems less and the deceleration vibration I had in third is GONE.

All I have now is a rhythmic vibration at about 75-80, that can be seen in the mirror , but hardly heard or felt.

So this is a speed issue more than rpm? Believe I still need to drop the diff 1/4" to get it dead nuts- is that the issue?

Not trying to jack your thread-hoping input helps

Hope your luck is also getting better

• 4 weeks later...

My money is on angles.

And you sir are 100% correct.

Today I finally got around to spacing the mustache bar down as far as I could. Dropped it maybe 1/2" with spacers. Just enough so there was a thread showing on the lock nut.

The vibration is gone.

Thank you all. I never realized it was that critical.

Tj