HybridZ

What's a fair price for this guy's patch panels?

TieFighter88

G'day!

I found a guy about an hour from me with a 77 280z he said he is junking, along with some other parts.

I need some patch panels, in particular the roof cut out and I feel like he is asking way too much.

He wants $300 for the shell or $400 to cut out the Roof and lower panels for me. The frame is comprised and rust is a big issue to his 280z shell would only serve to cut out the roof and other misc panels for me...

I live in Daytona, so I would have to mail the panels back also...

What is a fair price for him to cut out the panels? ie: Roof: 100? Lower panels: 50?

post-28059-055176000 1344365141_thumb.jpg

Its whatever he wants to charge. How many people are out there offering to cut out parts from a car to your order? And if you grind on him about the price, he may not do as good a job cutting the panels out. Why don't you drive out there and cut the panels out yourself?

I'm only up here in SC for 2 weeks and accidently checked craigslsit for Datsun 280z's.

He already explained in that he is more than willing and has the tools to cut panels for people / he is junking the car anyway. Doesn't mean he can charge 300 for a roof section...

I have seen other's here have roof sections cut and delivered from old shells for way less.

He already explained in that he is more than willing and has the tools to cut panels for people / he is junking the car anyway. Doesn't mean he can charge 300 for a roof section...

I have seen other's here have roof sections cut and delivered from old shells for way less.

1) Yes it does.

2) Then buy them instead.

Just a little reality for people here:

Whole Car's Shell for $300 (Fair Enough Price)---guy gets $300, and his driveway is clear, done, not a second more spent worried that there will be a code enforcement ticket, upset neighbor, DONE! He goes inside to have a beer.

Roof and Rockers for $400 (Fair Enough Price)--guy gets $400, for cutting up the parts, but still has a driveway full of a hulk of a car which is now incomplete. Spend the rest of the day in the hot sun cutting the REST of the car into little dumpster sized bits, then driving around behind shopping centers disposing of them out of the trunk of his car. Spends $40 in gas to dispose of the parts. Net money now $360, but he's lost a day of his life to accommodate your request for pieces instead of the whole thing.

This is the SAME THING as a half cut from Japan. Sometimes the WHOLE CAR shows up instead. The price they get them for doesn't justify the labor used to chop them in half and then deal with what remains!

Another way to read this: He really doesn't want to cut the damn thing up for the scenario in #2 above...but is willing to do it. He would RATHER the WHOLE THING just go away.

I have to be honest: If I had a roof just LAYING AROUND it would be cheap.

If someone wanted me to CUT OFF A ROOF (and thereby invoke the second scenario above) I would be hard pressed to accept almost ANY offer as I just don't want to spend a day cutting up a car. You want the WHOLE thing, come take it. You want to piece it apart...come take the WHOLE thing and YOU "Sell the rest for a profit" if you think you can.

dry.gif

Just a little reality for people here:

Whole Car's Shell for $300 (Fair Enough Price)---guy gets $300, and his driveway is clear, done, not a second more spent worried that there will be a code enforcement ticket, upset neighbor, DONE! He goes inside to have a beer.

Roof and Rockers for $400 (Fair Enough Price)--guy gets $400, for cutting up the parts, but still has a driveway full of a hulk of a car which is now incomplete. Spend the rest of the day in the hot sun cutting the REST of the car into little dumpster sized bits, then driving around behind shopping centers disposing of them out of the trunk of his car. Spends $40 in gas to dispose of the parts. Net money now $360, but he's lost a day of his life to accommodate your request for pieces instead of the whole thing.

This is the SAME THING as a half cut from Japan. Sometimes the WHOLE CAR shows up instead. The price they get them for doesn't justify the labor used to chop them in half and then deal with what remains!

Another way to read this: He really doesn't want to cut the damn thing up for the scenario in #2 above...but is willing to do it. He would RATHER the WHOLE THING just go away.

If someone wanted me to CUT OFF A ROOF (and thereby invoke the second scenario above) I would be hard pressed to accept almost ANY offer as I just don't want to spend a day cutting up a car. You want the WHOLE thing, come take it. You want to piece it apart...come take the WHOLE thing and YOU "Sell the rest for a profit" if you think you can.

dry.gif

I totally understand, but it's not like I am asking for the chunks of the frame-suspension-or anything else that really turns the car into a brick. It's the roof-panel...

Yes, it's more of a hopeful practicality to sell as a whole, but in reality why do I want to turn my driveway into a junkyard? For that reason I made it clear the whole time I was taking him up on his offer to cut panels, of which he is "more than willing"... so why pay *half-ah-monkey* for a roof section? <_< <_< <_<

I tried selling my broken plasma for ages, nobody wanted it as a whole, until I started parting it out online...

Edited by TieFighter88

dry.gif

I quit pulling stub axles for this same logic. I just became such a hassle.