HybridZ

Mustang GT Handling?

afbrian13

Just wondering if anybody here has a 4.6 Mustang and how they are to drive. How does it compare to your Z, and to what level of mods do you think need done to a 280z to match the performance?

Anything you like better about the Mustang vs the Z? vice versa?

Thinking about getting a 96 convertible with some mods and just wondering how it compares. All I've had are trucks of many sorts and my 76Zed.

Thanks for any input!

A '96 convertible should be left stock. Its too heavy and too flexible to respond well to performance suspension mods. Keep it shiny and stock.

Both the front and rear suspensions on the SN95 are carryovers from the previous Fox chassis. Roll center and caster problems in front and bind in back. On a lowered car (without any other suspension mods) its a zany, wacky mix of understeer and snap oversteer.

I have an 86 Capri with all Mustang parts in it, like JohnC said they are carried over. Suspension sucks and the body is as stiff as a pancake. Mine has a 90' 5.0 HO (100% stock) with the close ratio Cobra transmission, aluminum driveshaft, 3.73 CLSD, and 275 tires and I still feel that the Z was faster in a straight line and the Z is a thousand times smoother in the corners (that's comparing a rust-bucket Z to a rust-free fox too)

I'm currently working on the frame-work of the Z right now and I can't wait to be able to drive it again, but I'm not going to rush it and don't expect it to see the road again for a few years...or a decade.

I was looking at one that has adjustable coil overs all the way around, urethane bushings, blah blah, and all the different sub-frame connectors, chassis stiffeners you can install. It looks perfect inside and out. Stage 3 clutch, short shifter, headers, TB with cold air, and 4.10 gears. Seems like it would be fun to play with (and I live 5mi from work). I'm used to my stock, not re-done 76 and a Super Duty so it should be entertaining.

Thanks for the input.

Just don't lower it more then a inch. If its got adjustable coil overs, put it at the stock ride height. To fix the front roll center/caster issue you need to swap out the K-member. To fix the rear bind issue you need to install a torque arm or a 5 link.

Below are some pics of a complete Griggs setup I did ona customer's NASA AIX racer (a 91 LX):

26530_338740471670_5786397_n.jpg

26530_338740461670_7342751_n.jpg

26530_338742891670_5174683_n.jpg

26530_338742921670_5680371_n.jpg

It seems like it would be a really fun car but damn, looks like a whole lot to be done just to get it to where the Z would be with some of the same mods. Besides, 250hp in the Z would be a rocket, and with coil overs would be on rails. I think instead of a DD that I'll want to mod also, I'll just stick to the Z as the daily driver. Not topless with room in the back (I catch hell about 2 seats all the time-you guys?) but more reason for the wife to get the 4 door jeep. Thanks for the replies guys.

The Z sucks out of the box. Fox bodies and SN95s suck out of the box. The nice thing about Mustangs is that they have a MUCH bigger following and there are a LOT more parts. I used to autox with the guys from Maximum Motorsports. Take a cheap fox body, add several thousand dollars worth of MM parts, and you now have a Mustang that was close to if not faster than my Z was at that time with less effort and probably less money when it's all said and done.

Newer Mustangs are actually pretty good out of the box. There was a Motor Trend video comparing the M3 and the Mustang a year or two ago at Streets of Willow. The Mustang was .1 seconds slower. Not too bad for stick axle.

Ultimately they all have a lot of potential. We have a CP fox body that is regularly in the hunt for FTD, and at the last autox I went to there was a stockish looking new Mustang that was faster than an XP 914 and a DM Lotus Elan, although not quite as fast as a Z06 Vette that was there.

FYI... my pics above are an extreme example of Mustang suspension mods for essentially an unlimited class road racer (NASA American Iron eXtreme class). You can make a good handling Fox chassis Mustang for a lot less money and work.

Ive got an 03 cobra, not a perfect example, but not a terrible one either.

Mine has basic mods, lowering springs, and CC plates, and subframe connectors (a MUST with any fox chassis) and handles pretty damn well. Granted, that is probably due to the IRS over the stick axle.

AS far as the 4.6, My Supercharged DOHC 4.6 is a blast, but gets obnoxious in hot weather (heat soak makes the power go bye bye and taking off can be tedious) from what ive heard, and had limited experience with, the SOHC is a decent, albeit largely underpowered motor, but they respond well to mods. i would say a PI swap would be a wise investment.

It might not be a bad idea to look into the 99-01 cobra Vert, for the sole purpose of having the DOHC and the IRS

Suspension wise, at least stock, the front suspension is passable with lowering springs and CC plates, In the rear, you would want at the bare minimum a set of control arms, If you can afford it, a Torque Arm/Panhard bar setup (or some other 3 link/Panhard bar setup) or if youre crazy and want to spend lots o money, a Watts link. Or go pick up a cobra IRS for 7-900 bucks, and have a different set of problems. The IRS is poorly designed, and has a tendency to wheel hop, a delrin bushing kit is a must (i have yet to do the upgrade, although ive had the bushings in my garage for almost 2 years) It is also heavy, which isnt really a bad thing in these mustangs because they are nose heavy to begin with so it kind of helps with weight distribution.

The brilliant thing about the IRS is its damn near bolt in to any fox chassis mustang that had a quad shock setup. The front mounts are the stock LCA mounts from the solid axle, and the rears are the quad shock mounts (i would reinforce both heavily if installing into a stick axle car) However, this is the main reason that the IRS is considered poor, it does not have alot of rigidity with the unibody, and can wiggle around a bit

One other downside to the IRS is it tends to be a bit unpredictable in a slide. It has a tendency to tank slap quite easily and can be a bit of a handful. Alot of cobra owners do SRA swaps because of this.

Benifits are: A Much better ride over stock, and a substantial increase in longitudinal and lateral grip

For Example: I had a 1992 GT with a modded 5.0 before my cobra, and at the local track(1/8 mile) i spun first and second, and i had to let off in second to get anything done, ran a best of 9.4 (most of my runs were mid-low 10's), same track in the cobra i had a small amount of spin in first (not the tire rape i had with the fox) and no spin in second, and ran a best of 8.9(most runs were 9.4 and below), all with almost 150 extra HP and TQ (keep in mind i only took each car once, the fox was in december, and the cobra in July, however, being in San Diego, the temperature difference between nights was 10-15 degrees at most)s

as far as driving, ive had much more seat time in the cobra, and compared to a Z with similar mods (SFC's, lowering springs, etc) it handles about 30 years better, and is honestly way more confidence inspiring in the corners, however, i have yet to go balls to the wall in either car. im sure in a well setup Z (Coilovers, sways, etc etc etc) it would be way more fun than in my stock ass suspension car with sticky tires and tokico springs...

Sorry for the poorly edited novel, just trying to throw in my .o2 cents after a long day of work