HybridZ

Brady's 1972 240Z

Hi All,

I've had my 240Z (first car I ever bought) since May 1990, and drove it daily in the summer for years. Over the last few years, sadly, I have not driven it. This project thread is partly designed to get me off my butt and get her running again. It really shouldn't take much (he said....).

Here's a bit of what's on the car:

• triple Weber 40DCOE18's
  • MSA 6-1 headers
  • 1980 280ZX 5-speed
  • 200SX 4.11:1 R180 diff
  • 2.5 inch exhaust with vertical dual tip
  • Euro springs
  • big swaybar and poly bushings all around
  • 4Runner front calipers on solid discs

Basically, the usual stuff one would have done over the years.

I currently having a rear carb that is flooding over badly. Once I take them all apart and clean them well, replacing gaskets along the way, she should be ready to go, maybe with a new needle and seat and/or a new float.

The interesting thing is that I was recently given an Electromotive HPV-1 programmable ignition. I can't wait to find out if it works (remember what I paid for it...) and, assuming it does, tune it. Right now, I have the stock 240Z distributor.

So carbs and ignition are likely the first 2 items on the list, followed by a ported head I've had sitting on a shelf for well over a decade. I have a couple of L28 bottom ends, so that might happen when the head goes on.

My goal is to get her running and tuned with the HPV ignition by year-end.

Here are a few pics I took recently as motivation!

post-3824-093611900 1344560054_thumb.jpg

post-3824-011602400 1344560074_thumb.jpg

post-3824-079690500 1344560091_thumb.jpg

Edited by bradyzq

• 4 weeks later...

Hey Brady,

your car looks great, I like the wheels.

I remember that I bought a vertical defrost hatch from you probably around 2002-03 back when I was starting my Z project. Guess what, my 240z is dismantled since then! So I can understand that motivation is not always at a peak!

Maybe this can motivate you a little bit: get her running soon and drive her to my place to see my project 240z / VQ35 swap... I live in Laval now.

I'm a member of the ZOOM club since 2000 but I rarely participate in their events (I just don't take the time...and I'd prefer to go with my Z!)

Anyways, keep up the updates!

Bradyzq:

Research the conversion to the HPV Ignition CAREFULLY. To use the HPV will require a 280Z tachometer and rewiring to interface with HPV. The tachometer in the 240Z is a CURRENT sensing type whereas the 280Z is a conventional design wherein the switched side of the coil is connected to the tachometer. I am going to use the Electromotive TEC3 total engine control for Ignition and Fuel Injection. It is the best design that I have found. In the near term, it may be beneficial to use a 280Z distributor converted to a Pertronix switching module, 280Z tachometer maybe a hotter coil and appropriate small wiring changes.

Thanks for the advice.

I already have a Blaster coil, a Crane optical electronic ignition (which I now see I did not itemize in my first post. Thanks for that!), and am aware of the tach differences.

I can live without a tach for awhile. I will probably end up with some Speedhut bits later on.

The real benefit should come from the correct timing curve for the setup I have, as well as a stronger, more consistent spark.