HybridZ

Hood Vents and Oil Coolers

Since the turbos create much heat under the hood I decided to install these 4 Mustang GT 500 hood vents. I found that "Cherry Red" Rustoleum spray can paint matches the paint on the Z.

I also modified the MSA airdam to channel more air flow to the Arizona Z Car radiator. The Z runs cool while off boost. But when the turbos spool up....The heat is on. The addition of 2 small oil coolers has brought my oil temperature under control while boosting 25 psi.The airdam was also painted with the spray can paint.

gallery_639_5_50343.jpg

Since the turbos create much heat under the hood I decided to install these 4 Mustang GT 500 hood vents. I found that "Cherry Red" Rustoleum spray can paint matches the paint on the Z.

I also modified the MSA airdam to channel more air flow to the Arizona Z Car radiator. The Z runs cool while off boost. But when the turbos spool up....The heat is on. The addition of 2 small oil coolers has brought my oil temperature under control while boosting 25 psi.The airdam was also painted with the spray can paint.

I like the vent idea. I have a pair under the hood myself, so this may be my next move... thanks!

BTW, I also have used that exact paint for rock chip touch up. It matches my GM Torch Red paint... :)

I would like to know what front end body parts you are using. Did you paint the bumber or is that a body kit. I like the way the air dam and bumber look.

I have a stock 78 z that I am getting ready to paint and would love to loose the massive bumbers.

I would like to know what front end body parts you are using. Did you paint the bumber or is that a body kit. I like the way the air dam and bumber look.

I have a stock 78 z that I am getting ready to paint and would love to loose the massive bumbers.

That is a fiberglass bumper from MSA. The airdam is also a MSA item that I modified for more airflow to the radiator and oil coolers. The airdam was spray painted with 2 cans of Rustoleum red.

Hey TurboMeister, As far as I can tell from my monitor, that rattle can red is a PERFECT match to your paint job. Man you are so lucky to find it!!!! I cant's tell you how many silver paint can's I've gone through. I've even had some "custom" matched! and it's still not perfect.

Hey TurboMeister, As far as I can tell from my monitor, that rattle can red is a PERFECT match to your paint job. Man you are so lucky to find it!!!!

I have used spray cans for touch-ups for the last 13 years on my Z.

What is more amazing is the fact that the names of the colors has changed 3 or 4 times during this time period.

However, the actual color stayed the same.

Why do they bother changing the names?

I like the air dam! Are there 2 oil coolers? How are they plumbed? any before and after oil temp numbers?

Are the coolers painted red?

There are 2 oil coolers. I installed a "Sandwich" between the engine oil filter mounting pad and the oil filter. A 8 AN braided line exits the sandwich and is routed to the first cooler. A line then exits from this cooler and is attached to the second cooler. Another line exits the second cooler and returns to the sandwich and re-enters the engine. The coolers are attached to an aluminum plate that funnels air to the radiator. The oil lines are attached to the underside of this plate.

I have not yet raced the Z with the oil coolers but have noticed cooler temperatures while cruising on hot days. My oil temps used to always run 20/30 degrees hotter than the engine coolant. Now the oil temps are only equal to the engine coolant temps.

The oil coolers are painted the same color as the airdam so that they blend in.

At last! I've been working on a lot of those mustangs and have been wondering about those vents my self. It looks really good BTW. Did you just pick them up at the parts counter? How much $$? Any mods to the vents? What year model are they (as they look a little different than the '12s or '13s I've worked on)?

At last! I've been working on a lot of those mustangs and have been wondering about those vents my self. It looks really good BTW. Did you just pick them up at the parts counter? How much $$? Any mods to the vents? What year model are they (as they look a little different than the '12s or '13s I've worked on)?

The vents are # 4352, 05/12 Ford Mustang, from Cervinis.com. Cost is $99 a pair. They are plastic and must be prepped per the instructions to avoid fisheye. I cut the hood openings and glued them in. They stayed in at 150 mph. Cervinis provides a special tape to attach them to the hood, but I didnt use it. I don't drive in the rain so the large openings are a benefit.