HybridZ

injector banks not firing and fidle not engaging relay

softopz

No hi jacking I appreciate any and all input available this is a informative forum and this thread could help others in the future.

I just hate those little transistors their so small! On the new ECU I know both banks work cause I tested it on stim the circuit is fine. And when I switch my bank wires they work its only when I put all six injector plugs only one banks works!? How did you wire your injector +supply?

Edited by softopz

no hi jacking I appreciate any and all input available this is a informative forum and this thread could help others in the future.

I just hate those little transistors their so small! On the new ECU i know both banks work cause I tested it on stim the circuit is fine. And when I switch my bank wires they work its only when I put all six injector plugs only one banks works!? how did you wire your injector +supply?

I used the relay board and wired it up exactly like the install article at DIYautotune: http://www.diyautotune.com/tech_articles/how_to_megasquirt_your_280zx_turbo.htm

The relay board has really made everything straightforward to wire up. I know if I didn't use it, everything would be a mess.

I just watched your video. I am going to try to summarize/simplify what I saw. One bank of injectors gets its +12V from the brown wire, the other bank of injectors gets its +12V from the red wire. At first, you have the "brown wire" bank hooked up to injectors 4, 5 and 6. You have the "red wire" bank hooked up to injectors 1, 2 and 3. When you start the car in this configuration, the "brown wire" bank fires just fine (injectors 4, 5 and 6), and the "red wire" bank does not fire (injectors 1, 2 and 3). Then you turn off the car, and swap out your injector connectors, putting the "brown wire" ones on injectors 1, 2 and 3 and the "red wire" ones on injectors 4, 5 and 6. When you start the car now, the "red wire" bank fires just fine (injectors 4, 5 and 6), and the "brown wire" bank does not fire (injectors 1, 2 and 3). Have I got this right?

If what I said is true, then I can determine that both "banks" of your injector drivers are working, since both the "brown wire" bank and the "red wire" bank are both capable of firing injectors 4, 5 and 6. I can also determine that you are getting spark to plugs 4, 5 and 6. You also mention that when you ground out injectors 1, 2 and 3 you don't hear them click, but when you ground out injectors 4, 5 and 6 you do hear them click.

This says to me that you have something going on with injectors 1, 2 and 3 themselves. The problem seems to be with the injectors, not your wiring. If your wiring was messed up, you wouldn't be able to get both INJ1 and INJ2 banks to fire. Since you stated earlier in this thread that when you ground out injectors 1, 2 and 3 they don't click but give a "whine" instead, I would start thinking about pulling those injectors out. It's possible that whatever happened to start all your problems overheated those injectors. I'd start looking there.

Good luck.

**EDIT: Have you tried using a 9V battery to test injectors 1, 2 and 3 completely isolated from your wiring? Remove the connectors on those injectors and just use your 9V battery to quickly power each one up. If they don't click like they should, there's your problem. If they do click like they should, you've got quite the mystery.

Edited by OhBilly

No Billy , the brown is a ground same as red they provide the ground to fire the injector. The+12v is green and it a switched 12v+ through a 10amp fuse. You could be right about the injector except I have got them to work just like in the video. Whats wierd is when I measure the resistance for the injector i get 0? and from what I read between 1.5 and 4.0 Ohm, you have a low impedance injector and if the range is between 10 and 16 Ohm you have a high impedance injector.

Edited by softopz

No Billy , the brown is a ground same as red they provide the ground to fire the injector. The+12v is green and it a switched 12v+ through a 10amp fuse. You could be right about the injector except I have got them to work just like in the video. whats wierd is when I measure the resistance for the injector i get 0? and from what I read between 1.5 and 4.0 Ohm, you have a low impedance injector and if the range is between 10 and 16 Ohm you have a high impedance injector.

Sorry, my bad... I meant to say "ground" instead of "+12V".

Anyway, what you are saying above and what your video shows is contradictory. In your video, you were never able to get injectors 1, 2 or 3 to work, regardless of which pigtail connectors you put on them. And injectors 4, 5 and 6 always worked, regardless of which pigtail connectors you put on them. Since this is the case, you do not have an injector driver issue, you have a fuel injector issue.

Keep in mind that it does not really matter which pigtail connectors you have connected to your injectors, the car will run regardless of what order they are in.

When you Ohm out the injectors, do you get a zero reading on all of them, or just 1, 2 and 3? If you get zero on all of them, something is wrong with your multimeter.

I just measured the resistance on all terminals of my injectors. I get approximatly 2.1-2.3 on all except the injector for cyldiner 5. For that injector my reading is 0.6 I did some reading up on injector specs and it looks like that it could be bad.

Question would that stop the rest of the injectors on that same bank from not firing? I will have to test later today I will keep you guys posted. I just want this issue to be over and done with, so I can work the new ones that will keep coming up :angry:

I just measured the resistance on all terminals of my injectors. I get approximatly 2.1-2.3 on all except the injector for cyldiner 5. For that injector my reading is 0.6 I did some reading up on injector specs and it looks like that it could be bad.

Question would that stop the rest of the injectors on that same bank from not firing? I will have to test later today I will keep you guys posted. I just want this issue to be over and done with, so I can work the new ones that will keep coming up :angry:

Even though injector #5 is measuring too low of a resistance, keep in mind that cylinder #5 is still working, at least for now. It may be that that injector is on its last legs. But you do have an issue with injectors 1, 2 and 3. Even though those injectors Ohm out correctly, it doesn't mean there isn't something wrong with them.

In summary, you definitely have something wrong with injectors 1, 2 and 3, and it sounds like injector 5 might be getting ready to give up also. Since you need to pull injectors out anyway, I'd pull them all and get them all checked out. There are people that do fuel injector service, like these guys: http://www.witchhunter.com/ or it may be worth it at this point to buy 6 new injectors and call it a day.

OH SNAP, Its too early for me when I mean injector 5 its actually 2 Iam counting from the wrong end :blink: my apologies. So you could be even more right however, Iam pretty sure I have heard 3 click! I will shoot a new video of my discoveries.

OH SNAP, Its too early for me when I mean injector 5 its actually 2 Iam counting from the wrong end :blink: my apologies. So you could be even more right however, Iam pretty sure I have heard 3 click! I will shoot a new video of my discoveries.

Just because it clicks it doesn't mean something isn't wrong with it. Whether it is clicking or not, it isn't working. At a minimum, get those three injectors out of there and fix them or replace them.

Hey billy they work actually well speaking of inj 1 and 3 whats weird is when 2 is plugged in none of them work! I guess cause The resistance is close to infinite and its disabling the bank all together. Since the coils on injectors don't really have a specific terminal of (-)(+) looks ill be pulling out all my injectors actually for cleaning and testing at a local shop thanks for all the help and congratulations for your running project! Hopefully your shakedowns are not as bad as mine. (trust me this is the begining)

Hey billy they work actually well speaking of inj 1 and 3 whats weird is when 2 is plugged in none of them work! I guess cause The resistance is close to infinite and its disabling the bank all together. Since the coils on injectors don't really have a specific terminal of (-)(+) looks ill be pulling out all my injectors actually for cleaning and testing at a local shop thanks for all the help and congratulations for your running project! Hopefully your shakedowns are not as bad as mine. (trust me this is the begining)

The resistance of injector #2 is not close to infinite, it is close to zero (you said it measured 0.6 Ohms). I think this could cause the trouble you are seeing because that injector would draw too much current, which I think can shut down that whole bank. As a test (if you haven't done it already), is connect all your injectors except #2, and the car should start up and run on 5 total cylinders.

• 3 weeks later...

As an update the issue was fixed, all the injectors are currently running even if I just pulled #2 out it would shut the complete bank off that's why this problem was so wierd. The new (old) replacement is not so good its leaking fuel I got sold a bad injector what more.... the Car starts very well and idles okay. I am having lots of issues with VE and Timing maps under load its popping and bucking. Time to get the wideband in that's been still new in the box and start learning I guess.