HybridZ

First Datsun (1975 280z) need some help starting out.

hey guys. this is my first post here(just joined). just bought my first datsun this weekend and im needing some help starting out. first of all i am not unfamiliar with cars, our family business was restoring/ modding old cars. but never an import. we mainly worked on old chevys etc. anyways i just bought a 1975 datsun 280z. got it for a good price, its been sitting for 11 years and has 83000 original miles. it actually in surprisingly good shape for sitting for so long. the previous owner started it this summer by bypassing the mass airflow sensor. it definately needs a new mass airflow sensor. my plan for this car are to turn it into my daily driver. and hopefully autocrossing next season aswell and slowing making it show worthy. but for now all im trying to do is make it road worthy/safetied. obviously i will be draining all the fluids etc before even attempting to run it and doing all the body work. i will also be redoing all the rubber hosing running to the fuel injectors.

so the main help im needing right now is...

- are there any specific fluids you guys would suggest? oil type etc.

- are there any certain things i should definately check on the engine before turning it over?

- where would you suggest i get the mass airflow sensor for it? i've seen some aroung $280 and are there any brands that would be better than another?

- what are my options for bumpers? i have all the parts for the car but i absolutely hate the big stock bumpers and would prefer something sleeker

- any other suggestions?

and help im needing for my future plans are?

- what size of rims(offest diameter and width) work good for a 280 that will have flared fenders and lowered a bit?

- is turboing it really extensive? any know good turbo kits?

- best option for a full big disc brake conversion?

- good suspension upgrades?

thanks in advance!

heres a picture of it (trailering it home this weekend)

post-30767-028433800 1346109201_thumb.jpg

These car have air flow meters, not mass air flow meters. There is a big mechanical difference. But they function the similarly.

If it s been sitting that long use some diesel oil to clean it out. In fact there was a thread somewhere on here about what oil to use. Just use plain green radiator coolant. Wash it out thoroughly with water to get any rust out if you can.

Check if the engine turns by hand first. If it doesn't the rings could have rusted to the cylinder walls. so pour a little marvel mystery oil in through the spark plug holes and see if you can rotate the crank with both you're hand first (spark plugs still out).

Buy a used AFM (not MAF) from a member. It's a lot cheaper and it will get the car running. At this point I should ask if you want to do an engine swap at some point, since there would be no point in buying a new AFM if you're gonna swap it anyway.

Most people like fitting the early 240z bumpers, they are thinner and sleeker. They also make fiberglass repro's

http://www.thezstore.com/page/TZS/CTGY/7BSA01

for rims and tires you need to tell us what you're suspension plans are. Coil overs will give you the most clearance, but are not bolt in. Tokico struts and springs will give less clearance but will bolt right in.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TOKICO-ILLUMINA-KIT-SHOCKS-SPRINGS-NISSAN-260Z-280Z-74-78-/270965519990?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3f16cdb676&vxp=mtr#ht_639wt_1111

You won't find a turbo kit anywhere, just piece it together. The 280'zx were turbo'd 81-83 so find a donor car and have at it.

Many people make disc brakes for the rear. Expensive ones are from Arizona Z car, cheaper ones from Silvermine, and then the do-it-yourself kit can be pieced together from junkyard parts.

Best advice: read, on every subject you asked about there is a thread probably in the faq section for it. faq section is at the top of the forum main page.

thanks allot for all your info. as for suspension, i will probably know better how much im wanting to lower it once i have it home and all pieced together. i would prefer ones that are adjustable. with both ride height and performance(softer to track) adjustments. i dont really have a preference to doing bolt in vs having to do some modifications, bang for buck will probably win.

and the engine does turn by hand.

as for AFM's i found quite a few that were saying compatible 76-79. would one suitable for a 76 not work for my 75?

although i did find this one that said it worked for 75 280

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Remanufactured-Air-Flow-Meter-22680-N4210-Datsun-Nissan-280Z-1975-8-76-/370638164399?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item564bc191af&vxp=mtr#ht_1684wt_906

i do not plan on doing an engine swap. i wish. but i was lucky enough my wife let me buy the car to begin with. lol