HybridZ

'77 Z, switching some things up with a new motor

Hello, I have a 77 280z that I've had sitting for a while now after I spun a bearing. I have a new motor on the stand that is rebuilt, just have a few questions about some modifications and the sensors. I have no egr, a hooker header, but everything else is stock.

First, I have a blockoff for the 7th injector/choke. Can i get rid of the thermotime switch? My understanding is that the switch only keeps you from flooding the engine on startup by disabling the 7th injector. Since I have no 7th injector, more cranking time may be required during colder days.

Second, Im using a ka24de throttle body, can I get rid of the BCDD? Obviously it has nowhere to go on the new throttle body.

Third, one sensor on the thermostat housing (it has a single wire, is bigger than the others, and is mounted higher) the wire for the sensor came off. What is the sensor and what does it do?

• 1 month later...

So long as the Temp gauge is still functioning you probably don't need that sensor. I'm not certain, but I think it was the temp sensor that controlled the cold start. I'd have to see a pict to know which you were talking about. But since you're using AEM, it's kind of a moot point. Cold start is probably never needed in TX anyway.

Cold start is still important in the winter mornings, but it just takes a little cranking to get started. On the thermostat housing Im only using the ecu temp sensor and the coolant gauge sensor. Cleaned out the idle adjustment port and adjusted timing and idle to 800rpm warm and afr at 13.6