HybridZ

Weber Linkage Sticking?

catalak

Hello all.

My triple weber 40mm 151 (via redline) are installed, however the carbs get jammed up somewhere between the pedal and the carbs :\

The carbs seem not to be springing back to place... but also the return spring does not seem be pulling the rod/linkage back into place.

Whether slowly or a quick blip of the pedal, and the carbs (throttle arm?) seem to stick about 50% of the time (stuck @ 1500-3000RPM) - Is there any possibility that the carbs aren't returning to their fully closed positions because of tightness at the throttle arms? Is there supposed to be some play at the point where the weber throttle arms, nuts and horizontal arms all meet? I've buttered everything up from the OEM rod down back to the pedal, to no avail :T

My link

Based on this video clip i uploaded, can anyone give ideas on what I should be checking out?

Notes:

- the linkage was working Awesome with my SUs.

Thank you in advance!

_Cat

Make sure all three carb mechanical idle screws are not touching the arms, ie all 3 carbs are at closed throttle blades. Remove the firewall J-hook from the end of the rod.

Remove one end of the three connector links so they are all free. Put a straight edge across the top of the 3 arms and make sure they are on the same plane, AND ensure the line formed by the straight edge is parallel to the round rod going through the rod ends. Use something rigid and preferably not a ruler that can flex. Something with a nice flat straight face so it can rest firmly on each arm. Make sure you touch each arm the same distance from the rod, like right near the end. Adjust the round rod to arm connectors to achieve perfect alignment. Look from side and top to compare your straight edge to round rod for parallelism.

Make one connecting rod the right length to mate to its carb arm. Make the other two connectors the same length as the first one. Measure carefully.

If the other two links don't now connect exactly to their carb arms without moving anything, then either the carb throttle shafts are not in the same position or the 3 arms to the round rod are not straight/parallel. If they are out by less than 1/4 turn of the threads, and you are positive the arms/rod are parallel, then adjust the connector lengths to fit. The three carbs have a small amount of mounting to the manifold "flex" due to the insulators and how tight you make the bolts on the rubber washers, so the error may be at the carbs, not the arms.

Keep playing this game until everything is smooth. Good luck!

Greatly appreciated! This is what I 'feel' the issue could be, as the original linkage doesn't seem to have a 'sticky' issue.

Hope to play around with the linkage further, hopefully this evening.

Make sure all three carb mechanical idle screws are not touching the arms, ie all 3 carbs are at closed throttle blades. Remove the firewall J-hook from the end of the rod.

Remove one end of the three connector links so they are all free. Put a straight edge across the top of the 3 arms and make sure they are on the same plane, AND ensure the line formed by the straight edge is parallel to the round rod going through the rod ends. Use something rigid and preferably not a ruler that can flex. Something with a nice flat straight face so it can rest firmly on each arm. Make sure you touch each arm the same distance from the rod, like right near the end. Adjust the round rod to arm connectors to achieve perfect alignment. Look from side and top to compare your straight edge to round rod for parallelism.

Make one connecting rod the right length to mate to its carb arm. Make the other two connectors the same length as the first one. Measure carefully.

If the other two links don't now connect exactly to their carb arms without moving anything, then either the carb throttle shafts are not in the same position or the 3 arms to the round rod are not straight/parallel. If they are out by less than 1/4 turn of the threads, and you are positive the arms/rod are parallel, then adjust the connector lengths to fit. The three carbs have a small amount of mounting to the manifold "flex" due to the insulators and how tight you make the bolts on the rubber washers, so the error may be at the carbs, not the arms.

Keep playing this game until everything is smooth. Good luck!

UPDATE: Seems to be the carbs sticking. Removed the j-hook from the linkage to relive any stress from the pedal spring. I then moved the linkage/arms with my hand, very gently, and the carbs remained open, just slightly, but enough to guess it would be revving between 1000-2000 RPM (engine off, so just estimating). I then pulled the linkage rod out and each carb arm was free to move with my intervention. The carbs still stuck, without the linkage rod or pedal.

It seems that each carb doesn't return to full Close so either the throttle stop screw needs adjustment OR the jam/throttle nut on the ends of the throttle levers is too tight (?) or... ?

Any experience with tight throttle nuts or anything else that controls the quick return of the throttle lever(s)?

Thank you all

Drop some lube at the seals right where the jam nuts are.  That has helped me in the past.  Being methodical with the linkage is a must.  You are on the right track.  Without PERFECT linkage, setting up and diagnosing the carbs is impossible. 

Edited by cygnusx1

• 2 weeks later...

linkage issue resolved! it had to do with the throttle shaft (needed adjustment on a rod on the manifold), throttle stop screws (not so much, but I reset these anyway) and the linkage return spring was modified and a second spring was installed. Thanks all for your help!