HybridZ

L28 Backing plate differences

Poundz9oh9

getting ready to start bolting up my 78 5 speed transmission to my 77 after pulling the auto. I noticed on all the swap threads I can find, it suggest getting the backing plate from a manual setup to replace to one from the auto setup. But my question is ... what's the exact difference between the two? Can I trim the auto one in any way to make it fit the manual setup?

Any info is appreciated guys!

Bottom half of the autobox plate is unboltable (from the autobox) to access the flex plate to torque converter bolt removal/installation.The manual version is a complete over to keep dust and dirt from getting in onto pressure plate components...

Gotcha, now not ever seeing them side by side myself or even being able to find any pictures to look at, is that the only difference? If that's the case then in theory I could just re-use the two piece auto one and it would still work for the manual set up yes?

You'll have no problem using the auto backing plate on your manual shift engine. In fact there are advantages in using this combination of parts. You can grease your starter ring gear easily, inspect your rear main oil seal easily (if you suspect an oil leak from here) and even set up a flywheel based ignition timing setup. Easily. ;)

I've never had problems with dirt either. :P

Edited by ozconnection

Grease your starter ring gear?

Wheres the FSM interval for that? Depending where you drive will be dependent on your dirt accumulation. I don't think the greasing will aid in longevity with dirt in there, seems to me that's how you make valve grinding compound!

Agreed there tony! I'd rather keep that area grease FREE, as keeping it open with no lower half will just be inviting dirt to cling to anything sticky.

But to the OP ~ I wouldn't let a backing plate stop me from finishing a swap, that's for damn sure. Most of us pull our engines every 30-50k anyways, at which point I wouldn't be too worried about dirt build up in that amount of time unless I was planning on going off-road, or driving on roads that get snow. Neither of which are of huge concern to me.

Oooooooh by no means was it going to stop me, I just wanted to make sure I want missing anything. I HATE getting to a point in a project when I'm at a standstill waiting for a part that I hadn't thought about until it was too late. Thanks again for the help guys, saved me a little cash probably ..

Here's another reason to use ANY plate:

It's 2mm thick or maybe 3mm. You don't have that in there spacing your tranny off the back of the engine, the throw out collar can have issues with releasing / not releasing!

Autobox & Manual are the same thickness...

Yep, sorry, I was wrong. :(

I have used a small dab on the ring gear in the past but the risk of using it and causing clutch problems is real.

I NEVER run without the lower plate in situ. The bell housing area pretty much sealed up when it's on and dirt ingress is mininal, if at all.

Edited by ozconnection