HybridZ

Trying to sell car with no title

stav2201

I had a parts 280z parts car i bought from some guy, i live in california. He released the title in my name but i never registered it and actually threw away the title when i was taking apart the car. I recently had some guys who scrap metal come pick it up and they said it shouldn't be a problem. Anyone have any experience with situation like this in california, do i have to go to the DMV and do something or is the car just in a grey area where no one is responsible for it?

I had a parts 280z parts car i bought from some guy, i live in california. He released the title in my name but i never registered it and actually threw away the title when i was taking apart the car. I recently had some guys who scrap metal come pick it up and they said it shouldn't be a problem. Anyone have any experience with situation like this in california, do i have to go to the DMV and do something or is the car just in a grey area where no one is responsible for it?

The CA DMV will only know if you "owned" the car if the previous owner submitted the release of liability form o rif you started some activity at the DMV related to this car. As for selling the car to the scrap metal guy, I doubt it will ever be an issue. The car was likely cut into pieces and sold for scrap value. Even if someone ends up trying to register the car the only reason you would be involved is if the new owner wants to title the car AND you are in the DMV file as an owner of the car.

The CA DMV will only know if you "owned" the car if the previous owner submitted the release of liability form o rif you started some activity at the DMV related to this car. As for selling the car to the scrap metal guy, I doubt it will ever be an issue. The car was likely cut into pieces and sold for scrap value. Even if someone ends up trying to register the car the only reason you would be involved is if the new owner wants to title the car AND you are in the DMV file as an owner of the car.

Thanks for the help! i was just afraid of having to pay some sort of non op fee or something.

Delivery of Evidence of Registration Before Disassembly: Penalties

5500. (1) Any person, other than a licensed dismantler, desiring to disassemble a vehicle of a type required to be registered under this code, either partially or totally, with the intent to use as parts only, to reduce to scrap, or to construct another vehicle shall deliver to the department the certificate of ownership, the registration card, and the license plates last issued to the vehicle before dismantling may begin.

(2) Any person who is convicted of violating subdivision (a) shall be punished upon a first conviction by imprisonment in the county jail for not less than five days or more than six months, or by a fine of not less than fifty dollars ($50) or more than five hundred dollars ($500), or by both that fine and imprisonment; and, upon a second or any subsequent conviction, by imprisonment in the county jail for not less than 30 days or more than one year, or by a fine of not less than two hundred fifty dollars ($250) or more than one thousand dollars ($1,000), or by both that fine and imprisonment.