HybridZ

Help. How do I start L24 engine out of car?

santanawhite

I've seen some videos of people starting engines on engine stands with what seems like nothing more than a battery, garden hose and small fuel tank. Have any of you tried this with an l24?

I need help, I need to know what components need to be on the engine and how to wire it to start it and test it on my engine stand for a couple minutes.

Seriously, the reason I said "motive force" and not "starter" is that is exactly what you need: Motive Force.

With a can of Ether, and a roll to compression stroke it IS possible to place a boot on the flywheel ring gear and kick-start an L-Engine...

Freaks the sh*t out of people when you do it.

Remember the old A-Series had crank-handles to start it... Get one hole to fire, and the rest follow. You don't "need" a starter, just a good boot!tongue.gif

It's starter time if you have an LD, but the gas engines should 'kick over' and Ether makes it much easier! Spray, roll roll roll roll roll spray again.... get it up to compression stroke TDC power on the ignition system with the starter system engaged and the float bowls full and make like you're starting a HOG, firm grip on the ring gear and "FWHAPPA!"

You, too, and freak people out!biggrin.gif

Don't try it drunk or with slippery oil coated leather soles! You need vibram or something grippy in good shape. I did it ONCE with a tennis shoe, but it almost tore the shoe off my foot!

You slip with a leather sole, and your knee can come down pretty darned hard on that ring gear. And that can be a real pain if you managed to get it started at the same time.

"THIS PROCEDURE NOT OSHA-COMPLIANT!"

I think ive got everything ready for it to start except there's one issue. One the flywheel, I turned it by hand to make sure it would clear all the way around the mounting bolts in the stand and it doesnt, there is some nipples on the flywheel that hit the bolts and wont allow it to properly turn

I put washers on the bolts to space the engine out a bit more so it doesnt hit the flywheel.

I tried starting it but cant get it to run. Can u guys help me out a bit more as to exactly what to wire. Im thinking my problem is the distributor because mine has 3 wires coming off of it, and all the wiring diagrams I have shore only two, i'm not sure how to wire it.

Ok, I think I figured it out. I did some research on the three wires coming from the dizzy, turns out P.O. installed a Crane Xr700 or Xr3000 ignition module. I had no idea, I just bought this engine as is. So I'm gonna have to acquire one of those modules and a new Coil before I can attempt to start it again.

Edited by santanawhite