HybridZ

Concerned about year discrepancies with 240z I bought

Hi everyone, so I got a bit of a surprise today with my Z.

Long story short (of vehicle history):

- bought an advertised 1973 240z from a very well respected local Z guy

- the Z guy bought this car off another guy who had just completed stripping the car and having it painted

- Car was never registered by the guy I bought it off of and just sat in his workshop

- Car contains no drivetrain

- vin tags were removed for painting and given to me separated from the car with the exception of the Vin on the dash which is still on the car (and matches the other tags)

As a diligent buyer I ran a history report and checked the local police to see if the vehicle attached to that VIN had ever been reported stolen/written off etc, and the vin came up clean

Now comes the part that concerns me. I went to buy a Wilwood M/C for my 4piston front w/rear disc setup and the seller asked me to check to make sure the fittings could be swapped onto the Wilwood MC and low and behold my car appears to have an early master cylinder installed on it (with the large nuts/fittings on the bottom that can not be swapped onto the wilwood MC)- markings are "tokico 7/8".

I've been racking my brain all day trying to think why someone would install an early MC on a 73 Z.

Can anyone help me with verifying what year the car is?? With no drivetrain and no diff/moustache bar on the car when I bought it either (which would have been a give away) I can't figure out a way of ensuring the car I have in my garage matches the vin (Also didn't have any bumpers on it so I can't use that).

I have been reading through everything I can find on differentiating the model years, but I can't seem to find any definitive markings that would be non-removable from the vehicle that would lead me to a definitive answer...

On a side note is the dash vin attached to the dash pad or is attached to metal on the body? I took a quick look but its darn cold in the garage right now and I have poor lighting in there so I couldn't tell

Thanks.

Edited by J-hop

The VIN is stamped n the body and HLS30-160XXX is late production 73, PERIOD.

Anything attached to that unit body is pretty much interchangeable from 70-78. Personally I have 78 rear brakes on mine, with a 79 280ZX 2+2 Master Vac and a 75 Master Cylinder.

Best learn now, parts interchange and unless you bought from an original owner who has all his receipts...you got a box of chocolates: never know what you Oman get!