HybridZ

S12W Rotor / Caliper Spacing

On my new S12W calipers with Vented Rotors, I know I need a spacer to move the rotor outboard for centering.

Why can't I use machined spacers and longer hardwareto move the caliper inboard?

The Caliper is mounted inboard of the hub and a 9mm steel machined spacer would do the same thing wouldn't it?

My issue is that I don't want to push my wheels out any further outboard for various reasons.

Searched, but didn't see this exact solution before.

Tj

The issue you would run into is the clearance between the outer most face of the calliper coming into contact with the inside of the rim face.

2 ways to remedy this is to run wheel spacers (which move your wheels outward) or move the calipers in to maintain your stock rim offset.

Ok, clearly I need to rethink my paradigm here... Remaining parts arrive today and hopefully it will make sense.

Tj

The brake rotor bolts to the back of the front hub.The spacer bolts between the hub and the spacer and should be .8" thick-that is if you are using a 84 300zx rotor.The rotor has nothing to do with the wheels.

On my new S12W calipers with Vented Rotors, I know I need a spacer to move the rotor outboard for centering.

Why can't I use machined spacers and longer hardwareto move the caliper inboard?

The Caliper is mounted inboard of the hub and a 9mm steel machined spacer would do the same thing wouldn't it?

My issue is that I don't want to push my wheels out any further outboard for various reasons.

Searched, but didn't see this exact solution before.

Tj

The Z31 vented rotor doesn't get moved outboard, it gets moved inboard by the spacer to get it centered in the caliper. If you spaced the caliper farther inboard, you'd also need to space the rotor that much farther inboard as well...

Wheel fitment depends entirely on the wheel and usually moreso how the "hub" of the wheel is cut. My Son's wheels fit the Toyota calipers, my 16x8 Rota Grid's needed a spacer - not because of the spokes, because of the hub design...

The very outboard lip of the Calipers just kisses the hub flange a touch.

Used my die grinder to shave down the caliper just a bit and got clearance.

Figured there would be plenty of meat there between the caliper well and the edge of the casting

post-1894-023828700 1352146435_thumb.jpg

Boatanchors...

post-1894-063201300 1352146508_thumb.jpg

Spacers in and fit good.

I needed to make a slight bevel to the ID where it meets the hub to mate to the hub filet.

Getting all the parts to fit snug and flat is important.

There isn't a great way to center the rotors on the hubs via the bolts, so it took some trial and error to make them run true.

Super product. Thanks to Silvermine for shipping so fast.

post-1894-011179400 1352435685_thumb.jpg

Tj

• 2 weeks later...