HybridZ

STI R180 LSD ?

Daz

I wanted to ask the Diff guru's a question ! If I bought a Sti Diff with axles is it possibble to make hybrid CV axles by mating either the STi input shaft(plug into the Diff side) to a Z31t axle(or any other axle) or vice versa ? I don't know the specs of a STi axle but I do know the diff's are pretty strong. All this is just a thought !

Edited by Daz

I must be mistaken about the Suby CV then, I thought they plugged into the diff like the z31t do. That way I would still have cv's. Even with that I know they probably would not hold up to my Turbo LS 4.8 that I have for my 260z.

There was someone on this board that actually converted the Subie axles to work/mate up correctly. they had a writeup also, to lazy to look, but I know it exists.

Scratch that I found the thread in 30 seconds on google.

http://forums.hybridz.org/index.php/topic/73182-subaru-sti-r180-differential-and-axle-conversion-revised/

The side axles do "plug in" like the Nissan but the spline size is differnt, at least compared to the R180 from the S30. The Betamotorsports side axle allows installation of the Subaru LSD into the S30 and retains the original S30 drive axles that use u-joints. For the S31 you will likely need differnt side axles, or to fabricate an adapter to connect the S31 CV joint to the Subaru side axle. Search around here in HybridZ, if it has been done you will likely find a thread about it. At minimum you will find lots of info about the subject of the drive axles and CV joints that will provide conceptual information so you can determine what the issues are and get leads to shops that can provide parts and services you might need.

Thanks for the info guys, keep it coming !

I am most concerned about axles they can handle the power I will produce(550whp+) with a turbo LS1(Sunny Z has broken stuff with his NA LS1). I don't want to pay $1200 for axles but I know If I want to play I gotta pay.

I'd be more concerned about the diff itself being able to handle the 600+ ft/lbs of torque you're planning to run through it.

The 2011 STi has a 41f/59r torque bias, so start looking at what people are running. You're going to have to find someone running around 1000tq for a fair comparison.

Edited by cockerstar

I'm thinking I'll have to run a shortnose R200 or R230 ! I have a VLSD carrier from a shortnose in a longnose right now but I'm seriously thinking of scrapping it ang going with the shortnose and just buy the mount(I'll have to change my mustache again). But then I'm back to finding axles that will be strong enough and just pay the price for the hardened shafts.

Edited by Daz

I was planning to do this later, but I have a 2006 subi r180 3.90 CLSD, Beta Motorsports stubs, and wolf creek cv axles already assembled, all for sale. Pm me if interested. This would be a great package for the right buyer because it is all there and I have already put it on my car, and I drove around with it for about a month before going a different direction. I had no problems with it at all just decided to do something different. It won't be cheap.

Edited by RebekahsZ