HybridZ

Another one LIVES

So I purchased a basket case 71 6 months ago. It was just in pieces.

It took me about 3 months to assemble it and get it fired off. Here I am 6 months later and Ive finally sorted out the oil leaks, electrical, and most of the major issues. I had not lights, oil filter issues, oil leaks, belt alignment issues, exhaust(lack thereof), no brakes, no seats, and a lot of other major stops.

I have long tube headers and had to relocate the oil filter. I spent a month scratching my head over an oil leak at the block oil adapter which turned out to be poor thread tapping. Now Im running Parker hydraulic oil lines with o-ring fittings. My balancer had a speedee sleeve on it so I replaced the balancer and seal on the timing cover. The carb had to be cleaned as well. I ended up cracking the secondaries on my Holley to get a good idle without un-covering the transition slots on the primaries. The intake manifold gasket was replaced as it was leaking in the back. I finally tracked down the correct v belt. I purchased a universal speedo cable from napa and installed that as well. I went from competition open headers to 3" exhaust all the way to the back. I may add a resonator later to quiet it down a bit. The lighing wiring was a nightmare, but I sorted that out and now have turn signals and both headlights come on now without blowing the fuses. Im still un-happy with my fuel pump and 3/8" fuel line but I replace that in the near future. I still need to add a fire extinguisher inside the car, but its finally up for some drive time.

I have plans to get a quiet gear drive, roller rockers, larger carb(probably a 750 Holley double pumper), and I want to get a more reliable fuel pump.

Im exited that one of my 3 Z cars is making progress.

Pics of first arrival and some of the exhaust. Will post more later.

2012-07-24192742.jpg

2012-07-24192825.jpg

2012-08-17133116.jpg

2012-08-17133108.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Cool car! Did you get it with the engine in it? Looks like a old hooker kit? 3/8" line is ok. Well, until maybe 600bhp? That looks like a Mallory fuel pump. rebuild kits are available. I think the brushes die in them. I had one on my z for 4 years (maybe longer). gave it to my pops it finally killed the brushes last year.

Keep it low buck and driveable! I wish I had!