HybridZ

The NewKid's 280z

Hello All Z drvers! For my 16th birthday my parents handed me the keys to my moms old beater minivan and said I could do whatever I wanted to do with it. So of course I sold it the following day! I wanted a car that was sporty yet retained relativly good mpg. I also wanted a car that was rear wheel drive and also manual. The 280z fit this criteria perfectly and IMHO looks AMAZING! Anyways after a few days of looking I found a 280z for 3500$ It looked great in the pics and was very close to where I was at that time! After looking at it I talked the owner down to 2800$ because of the absolutly horrible fading paint! Well that was 2 weeks ago and I am ready to do some much needed work on the car!

Specs:

1978 280z

304 gold metallic paint job

2.8l fuel injected inline 6

Airconditioning

4 speed manual

Non-california model

To do list:

paint job/bodywork ASAP

trannsmision/clutch rebuild or replace

Carpet replacement

Sterio build

Performance wise I am keeping the stock engine and keeping it naturally asperated. My performance goal is to do 0-60 in 6 seconds. Acorrding to this calculator (http://www.060calculator.com/) I will need 173.34hp (flywheel) to go from 0-60 in 6 seconds if the car weighs 2400lbs. Stock specs 149hp with curb weight of 2800lbs (http://www.zshop.net.au/280Ztech.htm). This puts me at around 8 seconds 0-60 because Im probably making around 130hp.

Modifications so far:

Cherry bomb muffler (previous owner :P)

Spare tire/ jack delete probably 40-50 lbs

Modifications planned:

Cold air intake: (http://www.ebay.com/itm/76-78-80-82-83-Datsun-280ZX-280Z-Cold-Air-Intake-K-N-/370462177261?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item56414437ed&vxp=mtr)

Msa header with fake dual exaust from the muffler (http://www.jegs.com/i/Dynomax/289/17653/10002/-1)

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You are better off Selling your engine and getting L28ET if you can find an honest trustworthy mechanic to swap for you unless you are eager to learn and can do it with manual and some time. The Turbo Variant of your engine will come off of a 280zx Turbo'd obviously. If what you are after is faster 0-60 you would also be good to find the transmission from the same car 81-83 5-speed. Differential as well.

So to sum up.

L28ET (you can usually find for about 600 just be patient and search)

280zx 5-speed tran (could find bundled with engine or might have to find a used one somewhere)

R200 out of 280zx or if you really want accel 4.11 diff out of the 200SX turbo

The most important advice I can give you though is be patient. You want to go out there and get everything done quick but you are young and have lots of free time on your side. Do everything with research and patience. Wait for the right deals at the right times. Don't cheap out on parts.

Thank you for your reply, I know turbo is the cheapest way to add power but I am only planning on doing stage 1 mods because it is a daily driver. I am going to replace the transmission fluid and hope that that solves/helps the problem.

Hah, sorry I didn't read your wanting to keep it NA comment on the first post. The rest of my post still stands though. Exhaust/Headers don't do much with this engine its about +/- 3HP from the dynos I have seen. Have to improve the engine and transmission and diff to get those speeds. If you are really up for it and have a knack for engines, or an experienced mechanic you have the option of boring out your L28 to 3.1L. Kits are sold from various places. Arizona Z Car / Motorsport Auto. I believe they run you around $3,200. Of course if you can located all the parts yourself be it junkyards or aftermarket, It should run you way less around $1300. And yeah of course if you just got the car, Change all the fluids, Check the sparks and such to give the car a tuneup if needed. Switch out those Park bench bumpers for early style ones or FRP. Anywho its your car and your choices! Do what you want and have a good time doing it =).

Does a header really only add 3hp? Wow would keeping the original exhaust manifold and running 2.5" pipe all the way back with my plan add any hp? Would a cold air intake add any hp? I am really looking for mods that don't hurt performance but actually help it! And also does anyone in the DFW area know a good paint/body guy? Thanks!

Does a header really only add 3hp?

It depends on engine configuration, but something like that.

Wow would keeping the original exhaust manifold and running 2.5" pipe all the way back with my plan add any hp?

Yes.

Would a cold air intake add any hp? I am really looking for mods that don't hurt performance but actually help it!

No. Your Z came with a cold-air intake from the factory. All you'd do by putting on the super-dooper ebay intake is increase noise.

BTW, this has all been answered probably a billion times over. Take your time, read and research. Use google to search this site for topics that interest you. I'll put you much farther ahead.

The sounds 6-1 Headers make though......Well worth the 250 dollars. Make every day sound like the 24 hours of La Mans!

Here's a link to what my car sounded like up until I pulled everything off to go turbo,

http://s524.photobucket.com/albums/cc327/twofortyz/?action=view&current=photobucket-20006-1334973775522.mp4

6-1 ceramic coated headers to a 2.5 mandrel bent exhaust to a dynomax turbo xl muffler

I am probably just going to have a exhaust shop install a 2.5 inch pipe from the manifold back into a thrush muffler. Is there anything I can do to make my car paint look better without new paint? Where do I get touch up paint for my specific color and how do I make it blend in with the good looking paint? The clear coat is coming off in several places shown in the pictures below...

Edited by TheNewKid

Hello All! Whenever my car is in neutral with the clutch pedle not pressed down the clutch (or I think its the clutch) makes a thumping noise that gets faster when I press the gas. Whenever I press the cutch to disengage it the sound completely disappears. Do I need a new clutch set?

Link: http://www.ebay.com/itm/AUTOCOM-Stage-1-Clutch-Kit-311-81005-Datsun-280Z-280ZX-2-2-2-8L-75-83-/271082489903?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Model%3A280Z&hash=item3f1dc6882f&vxp=mtr

If someone knowlagable in the drivetrain knows what the issue your help would be greatly aprriciated :icon47:

Hello All! Whenever my car is in neutral with the clutch pedle not pressed down the clutch (or I think its the clutch) makes a thumping noise that gets faster when I press the gas. Whenever I press the cutch to disengage it the sound completely disappears. Do I need a new clutch set?

Link: http://www.ebay.com/...dc6882f&vxp=mtr

If someone knowlagable in the drivetrain knows what the issue your help would be greatly aprriciated :icon47:

I've had a similar sound turn out to be a bad thrust bearing (if I'm assuming your sound correctly.) I've also heard some pretty noisy clutch throw out bearings too. Could you take a video of the sound? I'm sure that would make it much easier, and someone more knowledgeable than I may speak up.

Also if the paint's clear coat is flaking up, this means the base coat is also damaged. So unfortunately you aren't going to be able to recover that part of the paint , without respraying. But some McGuire's rubbing compound would probably do wonders on the decent paint left.

Edited by OldAndyAndTheSea

I will post a video asap! Today I washed my car with a soap and sponge. Whenever it was wet it looked 100x better but when it dried, it looked clean, but the clear coat cracks/fade showed up again... what would give me the "wet look" temporarily, like for a week because I wash the car once a week :icon10:. Is this what waxing a car does? What type of rubbing compound would I need??? Is that what McGuire's would do? :icon5:

Hello All!

I thought I would do a quick update on these shifter bushings I found on eBay. The seller I purchased them from has aftermarket brass shifter bushings that fit the early Z's. The original bushings were made out of nylon, these brass bushings will supposedly outlast the originals and will not rust or be damaged by solvents. When I went to remove the clip holding the shifter on I realized it was all but non-existent (how the shifter stayed completely intact I do not know.) After The shifter was off I also discovered the previous nylon bushings had completely disintegrated! This was clearly the reason the shifter had so much slop. When installing the new bushings I had to search for awhile through my misc bolt/washer/ect. pile for a new clip and ended up fabricating one out of a toothed lock washer by cutting slanted edges on the washer so it could slide on with the force of a rubber mallet hitting a slotted screwdriver. It actually created a snug fit and was free lol :icon10: . The end result is astounding! The shifter and transmission fell MUCH stouter with this simple upgrade! :icon47:

Here is the link to the eBay listing:

http://www.ebay.com/...984.m1423.l2649

I highly recommend the seller "summit-engineering" they shipped my product in 24hrs! :icon10:

Pic after install

Edited by TheNewKid

Update:

Today my shifter boot shipped in. When removing the center console I decided to try and repair the previous owners hack-job stereo installation. After organizing and removing a few pounds worth of aftermarket stereo harnesses I simply fabricated a piece of sheet metal to go behind the large hole cut out for the head unit. I still need to sand out the paint blemishes and excess glue but all in all it looks nice! The new boot makes the car so much quieter on the inside! I can actually hear myself think now :icon10:! My radar detector also shipped in today and already saved me on the way home from black Friday shopping! Not bad for a detector that was only 35$!!! :icon54:

A few pics:

Boot Install

Radar detector

Stereo Delete

Edited by TheNewKid

Hey I have a small update. Today I Took Andy's advice and got some of the McGuire rubbing compound at Autozone. I used a low speed buffer to apply it with a polishing pad. WOW this stuff makes what is left of the paint shine. If this stuff can last all week I will be very happy! Also I ordered the half dash cap at the z store today and will be installing it when it comes in! And BTW could someone please tell me or send me instructions on how to replace the headlights. After buying the 25$ super-duper Sylvania headlights I looked at them and could find now way to remove them!?! Someone please help me out! :icon52:

You remove them from under the wheel wells. At least that was how my 260z was. Also you goal for getting the car to 2400 lbs is gonna be a big stretch. You should have just started with a 240-260z. The spare tire jack delete is not 40lbs fyi. More like 25.

Your plans to keep it a nice "stage 1" (what does that really mean lol, just poking fun) daily is great. That is how I've had my 280zx for the past couple years, and it can smoke cars that are much more expensive at autocrossing.

You do not need 3.1 liters to make power NA. I know a guy who is making 200whp with a 2.8. an over bore to 3.1L is for people with money.

Also noticed you want to swap in a V8. That will definitely put you at whatever power you want to make, but you probably need a little more mechanical expertise.

Also headers and a cold air intake look nice, and simplify the engine bay. For a while I was running the stock headers with the flange cut to use 2.5" piping and it felt the same, but the sound is way different.

One last thing, don't get discouraged. I got my first Z when I was 16 also, my friend basically gave me his 280zx because the motor was blown and it was taking up space. At this point I'd like to think of myself as pretty knowledgeable on S30 and S130's. So stick with it.

Edited by BluDestiny

Well ya 2400 pounds is a big stretch, I am trying to keep the car simple and do all the weight reduction mods that don't require $. So far I have removed the stereo,spare tire and jack, and the old ashtray. I have decided to not install a new stereo into this car. I honestly think it will help with safety which is lacking :icon56:. And with stage one I was thinking of this forum http://forums.hybridz.org/index.php/topic/90435-street-mods-for-stock-280z/. What my real goal is and has been is for the car to do 0-60 in 6 seconds. With the stock engine (from the research I have done) it would be a more expensive build (unless going turbo) than doing the common V8 swap. The reason I wouldn't go turbo is because I would like to keep this car very simple and easy to work on. As far as experience I am in auto-tech at my high-school and we work on a wide range of cars especially ones with American V8s though. I could even have a 305 for free if I wanted but honestly 165hp with a quadrajet isn't what I'm looking for! And trust me, this is a daily driver, it encourages me every time I go on a drive! The trip meter just reached 900 miles yesterday BTW! :icon54: