HybridZ

Custom wheels... 9"wide = -19mm offset?

I just picked up some BBS RS for free in 4x114.3, but they are currently 15x6.5 et36. I know they're not going to fit as they stand, they currently have a backspace of about 5-5.5" or so.

Best I can tell from my research is that I need no more than a 4.5" backspace to clear the stock suspension, but I've read that "perfect fit" on a 280zx is around 9-9.5" with a -19 offset. That's closer to a 4" backspace.

I still don't know if I should keep them 15", or use stepped lips to make them 16" or 17".

I'd you guys were going to order custom wheels, what would you get?

4.5" of backspace is a safe number and will leave plenty of room on an S130 with stock suspension depending on the width of the wheel. You can fit pretty large wheels under the stock fenders with the right offset. It would be best to grab a tape measure and start measuring.

Yea, performance 15" tires are extremely hard to find, and is the reason the rota group buy even happened. Rudypoochris, like many others, wanted a serious street tire, and that simply didn't exist in the 15" range wider than 225, and performance tires in the 16" range pretty much stop at 245. If you want a 275 or wider then 17" is pretty much the minimum for actually having options.

The sucky thing for S30 guys is that no matter what getting a performance street tire in those widths means running a TALL wheel compared to what you really should be running at the track. The S30 geometry just doesn't cope with a wheel that tall very well. The S130 on the other hand does much better with the taller wheels, and also has far fewer fitment issues getting a 275 to fit.