HybridZ

The Slave Z build thread.

bfg

A torch on that fitting would probably get the male portion out.  The brake fluid will boil and smoke and might catch on fire but it's not a big deal.  Expansion from applied heat has amazing effects.  And a wrench on the block itself will take the bending bracket out of the picture.

OReilly Auto and other parts stores have a selection of pre-flared and fitted brake lines of different lengths, with the proper metric fittings.  It's the quickest easiest way to get back in action if you don't want to make your own.  Many have pre-fitted fuel lines also, usually called fuel line repair kits.

I've done all of these on my car.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's awfully close to a couple fuel lines. I was going to torch it but it was terrifying trying to weave the torch through to that spot. I may try a heat gun as suggested by someone else.

I'll definitely check out those stores. Thanks for the info! I have gotten the pre flare brake line before but I feel like the line running from the front of the car to the back is longer than anything they would have in stock. I'll ask around about fuel hard lines as well.

Edit:

Just Ordered some Copper Nickle brake line and Stainless fuel hard line. I'm going to rent a flaring tool and try to go through all the systems.

Edited by bfg

• 2 weeks later...

I went ahead and tackled the brake and fuel lines last weekend. What a pain that was (and still is) I managed to bend and flare everything with only one kink that I'm hoping won't effect the fuel delivery.

In the process of mounting the lines and making them look good starting from the front, the last couple feet look like absolute crap. I might just cut off the last sections and run fuel hose instead. Then maybe it will align and clamp to the underbody better. The whole weekend was a lot of cursing and frustration and I have to say it took a lot of motivation out of me. 

On Saturday the house next to the garage I'm working in is getting rented for 7 straight weeks which means no working on the car during that time. I have until 12 noon on Saturday to get her running and stopping or else I just give up for the next 7 weeks. And I don't even know if all my brake line flares are actually going to work or if they're going to leak like crazy.  :icon9: 

Here are a few Before and Afters, Some are just Afters:

20140615_1694_zpsde857708.jpg    20140622_1733_zps0394ce0e.jpg

20140622_1728_zps794c45fe.jpg

20140622_1735_zps289f7c56.jpg

20140622_1736_zps09b88ce8.jpg

20140621_1744_zps7d1df3c3.jpg   20140622_1737_zpsc9eeb022.jpg

My nightmare of an alignment issue:

20140622_1738_zps72370866.jpg

I was able to sort out all the lines for the most part. It's not the prettiest thing but it will work. The brake lines were leaking at the brass T but I tightened them a bit more and they seem fine now. I haven't checked since going down the road a couple times. Fluid in the reservoir  hasn't gone down from what I can tell but I'll double check this weekend after I get it aligned. 

Images from the weekend:

20140627_1809_zpsdf532173.jpg

20140627_1808_zpsf1d62208.jpg

20140628_1799_zpsdd222588.jpg

20140628_1802_zpsf0da2b7c.jpg

I'm pleased with the outcome of using the lowering springs and 240z rear insulators. I haven't driven too hard, however, as I would like to retorque everything after the alignment to make sure nothing is going to come loose (as well as make sure the brakes aren't going to fail)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Haven't updated in a while so here's a post just so you know the Z is still alive and well.

DSC_0034_zpsba23f640.jpg

DSC_0036_zps29fd39fe.jpg

I've mainly just been driving around and cleaning up parts to sell as my Temp job is coming to an end in a couple weeks. I won't be able to purchase anything for the car until I find a permanent job somewhere. Until then I managed to trade a local guy for these SU carbs. So I'll be playing around with those for the time being.

20141029_223102_zps64f7bd57.jpg