HybridZ

Guess it's time for a new engine

Mycarispurty

So after replacing all the engine bay fuel lines, cleaning out the gas tank with acetone that came out just as clean and stinky as when it went in, putting fresh gas in it and putting a charged battery in it...I was able to turn the key to see how bad this engine knock was that got the Z parked 3 or 4 years ago from the previous owner.

The engine would turn over, kinda slow but still turned. And it made a clunking noise everytime in rhythm. It's almost as if something in the bottom end were broken and when the crank's rotation would reach a certain point, the broken piece would pop, fall, shift, or whatever you want to call it.

I went in on the car knowing it might need a new engine so it's no biggie, I've already found a guy a couple hours away selling a running 2.8 with a cam, headers, and triple Webers, all running that made a 3+ hour road trip home when he bought the car to RB swap it. So I guess I'll be paying him a visit and picking up a whole new drivetrain.

Was just hoping the engine knock might have been something like an oil spray bar loose and rattling in the head or something and might have gotten lucky, but no dice ;)

Ya.. could be a million things still..... Sometimes you just never know...

Hell... my 280ZX burns oil and 40k miles later I'm still not convinced it's worn rings, as opposed to a stuck ring, because it has only 240k on it now. It probably is some bad rings, but I NEVER assume such, until I get in there myself to measure and see.

I have to ask though, it sat for 3-4 years. Did you replace the oil? Turn over by hand to check for binding?