HybridZ

L28 Oil Pan to Timing Chain Gasket Part Number?

It was a while ago but I remember reading somewhere in some obscure place that there was a Autozone gasket that basically was molded to the bottom of the timing chain cover so you didn't need to replace the entire oil pan gasket if you were being a frisky dingo during removal. Like an idiot I forgot to bookmark the page. Does anybody know what I'm talking about? I've searched the forums but I've got no results and I don't want to spend the next several hours re-tracing my "internet steps." Thanks guys!

If your oil pan gasket is still decent and doesn't fall apart, I would just use some rtv gasket stuff  over. I dropped the chain tensioner in there once and only had like 5k miles on my rebuilt motor and that's what I did. 20k miles later and still no problems. Now if you were in dire need of replacing the oil pan gasket anyway, then you should just do that.

This is the first I've heard about a gasket that's just the front section of the pan gasket, but it sounds almost plausible.

The only reason to do such a thing is if you don't have the time/ability to pull the entire pan, which can be a serious headache without a cherry picker. In reality though I think what stops many people is that you don't need to unbolt/remove nearly as much as you think to get enough clearance for the pan.

I'd say replace the whole thing if you can. But don't be afraid not to if the gasket is in decent shape. Last time I dropped a tensioner and had to pull the front cover I just used some rtv and called it a day. Never had any leaks there. To be a bit fancier you could just buy the oil pan gasket and cut the front section of it off.

It depends on a couple of factors. 1. Do you have a decent tool selection to get between the x-member and the pan for those hidden bolts. 2. How worn are your engine mounts, ie - how much extra droop is in there. 3. Are we talking S30 or S130? I know this is the S30 section, but it's worth noting that the S30 chassis is much easier to remove the oil pan from than other chassis with bulkier steering setups.