HybridZ

240z S12W stock 14" or 15"?

I have been thinking of doing the Toyota 4 piston front calipers upgrade on my z for a while now.

I've been searching around for a while and have found different answers. Some say yes with the S12+8(solid rotors), S12W(slotted rotors) needs the spacers and other just say to go with a bigger wheel 15" or 16"  to avoid other problems.

I like the Mag wheels that are on my z so really dont what to change them But if I have to I would like to get the 280zx 15" wheels.

What do you guys think?

With my 15 in. American Ansen racing wheels I had to install longer wheel studs and use spacers so that the wheels would clear the fins on the S12W caliper. 

Unless you are racing where heat is a problem  the S12-8 solid or stock front brakes are fine.

Suggest you do more research in the Brake and FAQ sections as this topic has been discussed extensively.

post-178-0-15371400-1356902911_thumb.jpg

post-178-0-68066600-1356902926_thumb.jpg

Why are you "upgrading"? Is it for looks or are your brakes not performing as well as you want. If its for looks, then go ahead, but if its because you want better brakes you should first think of this.

Many Z owners "upgrade" because the original is very old and not performing good. They upgrade and say, wow now they work great, but they are comparing an old worn out system with everything new.

I chose to rebuild my standard system and for street it works great. No need to mess around trying other wheels and such. All the wheels for the Z will fit no problems.

-New rotors, cross drilled and slotted

-Calipers chemically cleaned, new seals and new pistons

-New wheel cylinders and shoes for rear, lightly machined the drums just to make sure they are round and no big waves in them

-Stainless steel braided brake lines

-New master cylinder and proportioning valve.

Here are some links on this issue

http://www.classiczcars.com/forums/thread47901.html

http://www.classiczcars.com/forums/thread42542.html

Chas

Edited by EuroDat

That was mighty nice of you. This is a great forum! Looking forward to meeting that duragg guy someday.

Well, sigh.. you know I only have tires on 2 of my 15x10s at the moment...

The 15x10s rub slightly on the caliper as well.

I will take a picture tonight of the caliper material removed.  I suspect there is plenty of meat on the outside as I didn't perforate yet.

Tj