HybridZ

280zx engine swap

robotZ

Unless you have plenty of money to throw at it i would advise against it but it can be done with a lot of time and patience. A question why that engine you do know its a pretty wide engine expensive on maintenance there great engines why not go with a VG30ET the ones out of the Z31 300zx its been swapped in a 280zx before and make great power. Another thing is why not just swap in a L28ET or simply turbocharge your L28 all you need is L28ET wiring harness, ECU, Turbo, Turbo exhaust Manifold, Intake Manifold, 280zx turbo injectors, put a 3" mandrel bend exhaust and enjoy.

Edited by 280zx@541

@michaelp- who wouldn't love to drop in a rb26dett haha!

@ 280zx@541- yeah i'm leaning towards the inline 6.. a full engine swap right now would rob me pockets.. i like the idea of just turbo charging my current engine.. thanks for the run down on supplies needed! so would the engine specifically designed for turbo "L28ET" handle turbo more efficiently than a modified L28, or would it be identical?

• 2 weeks later...

Rather than the VG30DETT, you'd be better of going with a more modern VQ.  The price is about the same for roughtly the same HP.   I have a Z32, and I've got to tell you, that's a pain in the ass to work on.  Yes it can be done, but not going to be cheap.  If you're just looking for Turbo, then the L28ET swap is a easy bolt in swap. Any V6, is going to require some Welding and other mods.