HybridZ

5 speed options

I currently have a 350 trubo tranny in my car and I am wanting a 5 speed. My car was origanally a manual. All of the clutch assembly in my car is gone. If I put a 5spd in my car would i need the origanal clutch assembly or would I need the clutch assembly out of what ever i get the tranny out of?? Also, what would be a good choice for a used 5spd tranny that would fit?? I have an early 70s 400 sbc in the car

Buy this manual if you are going to own a hybrid Z: http://www.jagsthatrun.com/Pages/Datsun_Z_V-8.html

The JTR manual has a section on transmissions commonly used in 240Z V8 conversions.  The JTR manual  will answer many of your questions. You will have to install a stock 240Z clutch pedal assembly.

Go to the Driveline forum and spend at least two weeks researching transmissions, clutches, master cylinders, slave cylinders etc.  This will help you make an informed decision and to ask the right questions later. 

I have T5 WC transmisions in both of my 240Z V8 projects for over ten years and never had a problem.  Transmission choice ultimately depends on how you will use the car.

You could save some work and swap the 350 turbo for a 700R4 automatic as well since you are already set up for an automatic.

Thanks for the responce, i will definatly be taking your advice. Im not an auto person. Manual cars are just so much more fun to drive. The car will mainly just be a fun little street car with a visit to the track a couple of times a year. You said i would need a 240z clutch assembly, why a 240 instead of a 260, whats the differance and will it bolt straight up. Also will the t56 bolt to my block?

Get a t56 out of a non ls1 powered camaro, it will bolt right up.

The t56 is the same length as a 700r4 with a caprice tails haft housing (I think that's the car mine is off) it's the one with the mount holes on the bottom so it fits the Jtr cross member.

Try and get one out of a 97 camaro I believe that's the year the added hydraulic clutch to it.

I went from a t56 to a 700r4 and did not have to change driveshaft length.

Yes and no, it will BOLT right up to a first gen 400 block but you will need a special flywheel for the first gen block and balanced for the 400 tthen you can mate it to an LT1 clutch.

You need it to be an LT1 T56, an LS1 T56 will not work, you would need to change the bell housing and the input shaft as it is too long.

Do a search, myself and others have covered this topic before.

One guy on a chevy forum told me i would need the bellhousing of a late 80s camaro, anyone know if there is any truth in that?? Also ive heard centerforce will make an externally balanced flywheel?? Will i be needing the starter off the camaro?