HybridZ

I need some serious advice.........

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I am having doubts about my choice of powerplants for my Monster. As most of you know I have been going full hog on the construction of an elaborate spaceframe with the hope of knocking the weight of my car down at or below 2000lbs. My powerplant choice has been a Chevy 383 stroker that would make between 475-500hp with a 6 spd T-56 tranny backing it all up. This was all well and good until I realized that putting such a "boring" engine into such a strange car would be sacrelidge. I don't know why I have come to this conclusion because I have a bunch of stroker part already collected...but I can't help the thought that this car needs something strange....something no other car has. My present line of thought is a supercharged L series engine connected to a T-56 tranny with a custom bellhousing. I am thinking that a destroked L28 would be a good match with a supercharger because the piston velocity near TDC would be lower than if I used a L28 crank and boost could be increased. I have already researched the ATI supercharger and it would work with a custom intake manifold and TECII FI management. What do you guys think?? I still want a reliable car and I still want over 400hp at the rear wheels. If I ran a 4.11:1 R200 I could make use of the hogher torque curve of the L series engine and still have a good upper end associated with the .5:1 T-56 overdrive. AM I CRAZY???????

SpencZ

MonsterZ Cont.

Severely Confused!!!!!!!

To answer your question, yes, yes you are.

I understand about wanting something origional. I am in the same boat really. I hate run of the mill, boring cars. Well a Z car could never be boring... but...

In all the posts that I've seen and heard from you, I really liked the AWD option. Yes, you are going to gain some weight and drivetrain loss. The Skyline is about 3500lbs I think... yuk. But you have the technology to build a sub 2300lb, 500hp, AWD terror. Plus you can still use the 383 and feel origional.

There has to be a suitable AWD system out there. Stay away from american engineering on this one! Check out the BMW 325ix, all Subaru has to offer, Mitsubishi, Audi, Porsche... with all these people making AWD units there has to be one out there that will suit your needs.

Just imagine actually being able to control this 500hp monster... smile.gif

------------------

Drax240z

1973 240z - L28TURBO transplant on the way!

http://members.xoom.com/r_lewis/datsun.html

Guest Anonymous

How bout a " RO-Z " ?

Ever heard of a RO-SPIT ?

How bout 1/3 the weight, 1/2 the moving parts

equivalent torque band, twin sequential turbos, fuel injection and same thirst {only draw back I see} for fuel.oH YEAH and COST.

Figure it out yet ?

You said you wanted to be different !!!

FREAK !!!

Guest RON JONES

Spence,I think you should stick with your original plan.Theres nothing boreing about tube frame car with a 383 in it.If anything, I would think doing all that work and then runing a L28 would be boreing.WAKEUP CRAZY MAN.Are you still going on that boat towing trip?

Guest Anonymous

I guess you guys are right...I have short periods of doubt about the whole project and then I snap out of it...thanks. As for the boat towing trip ron, I'm now leaving the 21st because we have to drive out there and then drive back....DAMN!!!! 2 weeks of driving with 'rents can get to anybody....

SpencZ

MonsterZ Cont.

Spence, your horse power figures need to be as big as your ideas are. You'll need some pretty large numbers to even come close.

You're dealing with a 25-30 year old platform and making it into a techno marvel.The blending of the old and new is what your project is all about. Otherwise you wouldn't have an old Z in your garage. Don't disregard an older design just because its not cutting edge. It might be more effective than another choice. Hydrogen cell tech is pretty exciting, but you're not going to blow away any Vipers with it,...yet.

JS

[This message has been edited by John Scott (edited May 11, 2000).]

GO TURBINE!! just kidding.

think about it Spence you are already being different by putting a V8 in a Z. The space frame is to acomadate the power of a 383 stroker and with a tube chassis your suspension posibilities are endless....

I would stick with the v8 mainly because

they can crank out 400+ hp and still be reliable. you would be hard pressed to to that with the L series engine...

Think about the NASTY suspension

you can stick under the car...

HOW ABOUT A PIKES PEAK RUN!!!!!!!

Hey SpencZ, Here's an idea, stay with you're 383 stroker motor, then to be different look at a company named Dominion Performance, they make a FOUR-valve per cylinder head that uses most aftermarket intakes and headers. I first read about this company in a HotRod mag

book on cylinder heads...

------------------

.....Not to mention the trouble and headache you would have with sorting out that Tech2 software...Trust me on that one... I live close to Electromotive and they wanted to use my company name (Small is it was) to sell their products...I got suckered into buying the HPV1 unit and had nothing but trouble, and I got a demo on their Tech2 software, and it is nothing like the way they describe it. It is not a do-it-yourself application.

Stick with the V8, hell go bizzar with the V8, or even do the 4.3 L turbo buick, but don't go back to the L series...

Only my $.02

Mike

------------------

"I will not be a spectator in the sport of life!"

mjk

SpencZ - You are now building a high tech serious mover (was there a Z in there someplace) and I think I mentioned this before but a Corvette ZR1 "King of the Hill" LT5 motor in it would be sooooo cool!!!

http://www.cuc.edu/~gingram/engine3.html

Stock (1993-1995) the thing had 405 HP and 385 lb ft of torque and pushed a C4 Corvette to 188 MPH!!! It set a world record of 24 Hours Endurance @ 175.885 MPH for 4,221.256 Miles!!!!!

Check it out at http://www.zr1.net/ We are talking Lotus designed all aluminum 32 valve DOHC mouse motor.

Think about the jaws dropping when you opened the hood!!!! and I think it would be a first!

YEAH YEAH go with the ZR1. That was the pinnacle of v8 coolness. Didn't Merc. Marine have something to do with it too, or am I just having some wierd flashback? Z-ZR1!

What do ya think Spenc-ZZR Gotta be your destiny!

JS

[This message has been edited by John Scott (edited May 13, 2000).]

No wierd flashback for you John Scott - you are right on. GM was having a few problems manufacturing aluminum engines (Vega anyone) and with the limited quantity of LT5's to be built they went to Mercury Marine for the greatest small block ever built.

Hey, John, I think you've got something there - Z-ZR1 - it does have a certain ring to it (or did you just stutter)?

Hey SpencZ - If you do think this is a good idea and you get serious, try to find an LT5 "Black Widow" motor if you can. They came from Mecury Marine with 475 HP.

Remember, when you check out the performance numbers, that your car will most likely weigh at least 1000 lbs. less than a Vette - we are talking some very serious street performance here!

Z-ZR1 it !!!

Guest Locutus

I have a friend who owns a boat repair facility. He can order new and even find used Mercury and Mercruiser engines. I see small blocks from boats laying around up there all the time. If anyone is intrested email me with your phone number and I will pass it along to him. If Mercury or any boat company for that matter had anything to do with he can tell you, and probably get it.

Mike