HybridZ

L28et engine vacuum

clint78z

I get 9" of vacuum, but I am running an aftermarket cam in my L28ET. 12" sounds a bit low, but will a small vacuum leak cause a low manifold vacuum reading? I'm not so sure about that. Camshaft timing will certainly affect manifold vacuum, have you checked your cam gear and timing chain?

Guest Tom Scala

I'm getting a little over 19"Hg. @800 RPM idle speed. Stock hydraulic P90A cam. Initial timing as well as fuel mixture has a big influence on idle vacuum. I'm running 20 deg. w/SDS & 420cc injectors FWIW.

I'm getting around 15-18" at 900rpm idle lately.

I'd have to agree with SleeperZ in that it sounds more like pumping losses from the cam or cam timing. At idle, there isn't always a direct relationship between manifold pressure and idle RPM. For instance, I normally pull a higher vacuum at a fast idle than I do after the car is warmed up.

That said, if you want to check for a vacuum leak, try spraying carb or brake cleaner around suspected leak areas. If there is a leak, the cleaner fluid will get sucked in, and the engine should start to stumble. This is a pretty effective way to pinpoint vacuum leaks.

Guest Anonymous

Yeah, I've used Chemtool in vacuum leaks too. I repaired one Vega on the cheap for a guy, the intake was leaking, found with chemtool, well, we prepared the area plastered on silicone and then just bumped the engine. The silicone sucked into the leak and we let it dry overnight. Worked like a charm. icon_wink.gif Of course our members wouldn't do something like that .... icon_biggrin.gif

Shadetree,

Lone

I know there is a vacuum leak because it will idle at at 1500rpm with the throttle blade closed. So that means that I have a leak in the manifold air is getting in. The extra air is compensated with fuel because the MAP sensor is referenced off the intake manifold.

I need to get an exhaust system to quiet things down so I can trace the leak.

I have a 300zxt Throttle Body with no idle bypass. The accel DFI is hooked to a map sensor which is referenced off of the intake manifold. When I pull off the brake booster hose rpm skyrocket, because the map sensor see less vacuum and compensates by adding more fuel. I have used carb cleaner on other vehicles, I have also heard of an unlit propane torch. It roars at 1500rpm but does it very smoothly, let the tracking begin.

Thanx for the info.

I also had some vacuum leaks and now am idling around 17". I may still have a leak somewhere because it still idles at a higher RPM. My tach still doesn't work but just by ear I would say it is idling around 1100. Steve said his idles around 20", just for another point of reference.

Tim78zt