HybridZ

What engine to put in 240z

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I am in the process of doing up a 240z, what engine is the way to go. I want a 6 cyl in there. I would like to get good of the mark times. 0-60mph in about 7 sec.

Should I a: Put in a RB30 with a few mods and no turbo

b: a L28 with or without a turbo

C: RB26 or RB20 with turbo

What would be the most reliable for the hp that i want. quarter mile times is not what I am after more beating other cars off the mark at lights.

Please give us a heads up Cheers

Reliability has a lot to do with the amount of work and care you put into the engine and car. In simply comparing engines, one would assume the RB30 is more reliable than an L28...but so many things can affect that.

If you're looking for low end torque, get the one with the biggest displacement. Most likely that is the RB30 but it will most likely also be harder to swap in?

BTW, is the RB30 a newer Skyline engine? For the R33 or R34? If you can get the RB26 or RB30 with the turbos, why not just keep them?

Owen

Guest Anonymous

The RB30 is the engine out of the VL commodore here in Oz and the skyline not sure which one. Most of the skylines came with the turbo but the VL's didn't (however I could be wrong about the VL's) haven't looked into the RB30 that much.

If I found one with the turbo I would keep it.

So for reliablility you would recommend the RB30 over a L28.

What kind of a setup would I need to get good take off times.

Thanks in advance. p.bellas@adfa.edu.au

The rb30 came out with a turbo in the c/dore. I think it was faster then the V8's at the time. Thats what i would put in it. There seems to be an aftermarket for them in oz as well. I saw one in a zed on aotospeed. there is also a few wicked c/dores with the boost turned up there as well. I am sure there some more info on this forum as well.

Douglas

Guest Anonymous

RB30et is turbo version of RB30, it ONLY came in the Commodore, never to my knowledge in anything else anywhere else in the world, only aussie.

Ive put an RB30et into a 240z just recently and can tell you it fits easy, and gives very good performance. The one Ive done has an aftercooler and a Wolf3d ECU.

This engine is the 5 speed version which requires some additions to the gearbox support to fit into the transmission tunnel.

Ive also fitted bigger vented front discs and Skyline rear discs.

If youve got any further questions, just ask.

A7M

Guest Anonymous

I am pretty sure that the RB30et came out in the skylines at the same time as the commodore.

Anyway. What kind of performance are you getting out of the engine.

250+ hp Yes or No.

I would be very interested to find out more information regarding your z.

Thanks p.bellas@adfa.edu.au

Guest Anonymous

OK

First I have to tell you this isnt my car, Ive done ALL the work for a mate of mine.

I havent run it on a dyno, but I have a computer programme which i use regualrly for this sort of thing, and it tells me that with the boost i have(80kPa) the aftercooler and the otherwise stock engine will develop 250bhp @ 5500rpm.

By the way it feels on the road, id say its pretty close. At the moment Ive got the turbo off and in pieces doing an overhaul on it, it had bad oil leaks and was blowing lotsa smoke on overrun.

What would you like to know?

A7M

Guest Anonymous

what did you have to do to swap it in?

How many components did you have to change and what did you have to do to the engine to get the 250 hp.

80kpa how many psi is that don't remember the conversion.

Cheers $pike

Guest Anonymous

To get the projected 250bhp the boost is raised by adjusting the wastegate actuator spring, adding 1 extra injector (may not be required) adding the aftercooler, using 2.5 inch stainless mandrel exhaust and one resonator down the bum. Cold air induction from cowl area.

80kpa is 10psi, the stock setting is 50kpa.

I used the standard commi 3 row radiator and hoses, by cutting the front frame rail slightly. used aftermarket electric fan.

The engine oil pan needs to be changed to get clearance over the front crossmember and steering.

Made up new engine mounting brackects, used commi mounts, stood the engine up straighter.

Remade the turbo pipes to get bonnet clearance and to suit A/C.

Lowered front crossmember 8mm to get clearance.

Used datto clutch slave cylinder, which bolts up.

Made up gearbox mounting to reinforce floor, and made up new gearbox crossmember to suit.

used commi driveshaft with adapter to stock datto rear end.

Use CM Valaiant front brake rotors and calipers.

Used Skyline rear rotors and calipers on rear end.

Anything else?

A7M

This is a good swap. There was a c/dore guy Racing out here that said he was getting over 600 hp @ the flywheel. He was going to put a 4 valve head on it and go for more. havent seen it since as we have moved. This car was very fast in a straight line, it would visibly pull away on the straights against the v8 c/dores, some of which were group a spec. with a proper intercoller and boost this combo would put out more than your target. Buy the way, the in japan the are using the crank out of the rb30 to stroke the skyline icon_biggrin.gif . One apeared here to do a streetlegal top speed run and was putting out over 900 hp.

I'm not sure of availability in OZ, but the GM 3800 is a good 6 cylinder and cheap. Nobody wants 6s here so they can be had for a 1/3 of what a V8 brings in a salvage yard. This is basically the Buick GN motor without the turbo. 200 hp in rear drive trim (Firebird/Camaro)

Guest Anonymous

For the sake of ease of swap I am thinking about doing this what do you guys think.

my goal is 250hp. (as any more and I would have to strengthen the chassis)

L28 engine casting code #F54

from 280zx 1981-82

P90 head (fitted with performance valves, new seals, full cleaning, all threads chased and a 0.010" surface plane.

T3 Turbo running at about 7 psi

stock manifold

custom downpipe - 2.5" mandrel bent 304 stainless steel with two 45 degree bends instead of the one 90 degree bend.

3" exhaust with mandrel bends and no resonator

Stock engine management

Stock fuel line and pump

Blow off valve Not sure what type.

Boost control Not sure

5 speed 77-79 wide ratio

r200 diff out of 81-83 non turbo zx (3.90)

How does this engine sound.

Thanks in advance $pike

Guest Anonymous

Spike,

Dont go to all that trouble, get yourself the RB30et with 5 speed, (the box is different on the turbo version BTW)up the boost a tiny bit, chuck it in then go for it.

This will cost you HEAPS less than the L series, which is a nice engine, but not as good as the RB. The RB has a better bottom end (ladder mains caps) and head, its crossflow, they were stone reliable in the Commi, why on earth would you pick anything else.

Even the RB30 non turbo would be better than your L series, but the turbo version has all the goodies that you want, stock.

The V6 buick as suggested is our VN commi donk with turbo, the inline RB would fit easier, and the Buick isnt as good as the nissan engine anyway, and what about that pigshit t700 thingie, go with the Nissan.

I doubt you'd need to go to the bigger rear end with the turbo engine, they dont have the instant torque availability of the SBC to bust up parts, just make sure that stock 240Z rear is in good shape.

A7M

Guest Anonymous

How easily would the RB30 bolt into the z.

what would I have to change to?

That is probably the only thing that the L28 has over the RB30 ease of install

Guest Anonymous

Spike

I told you all that in an earlier post, its relativly easy if you got a few skills yourself, its not a straight "bolt in" but what your suggesting with the l28 series wont be easy either. to my mind the RB route will be easier and less troublesome in regard to tuning etc.

The 240Z with the rb30et looks factory fitted to my eyes and I wouldnt even consider reworking the l when while the Rb was available.

A7M

hey guys.... you you can get a hold of z-31 rb-20 engine mounts this will allow you to bolt any RB block in a Z. use and r-33 gtst 5 speed the front drive shaft and convert to a r-200 diff and the only fabing youll have to do is make tranny mounts!!!!! now put an engine management system,,,an intercooler ,,, fuel pump and youve got a car with a bone stock motor that will run low 11s hi tens with out even turbing booste up !!!! this is what i did to my car :> check out my web sight for more info

laterz

stony

Does anyone have any pictures of the mounts for the RB into the Z, out of the car...

the RB is more reliable, and in my oppnion is a cheap way compared to an L series...

a RB30et in australia costs cheap, i heard someone got one for 800 from the wreckers... maybe it was GODzilla don't remember correctly, i'm sure a machine shop would be able to make mounts for the Rb is you an't capable to make them, thats what i am goin to do... in a few years thouyou can get halfcuts R34s R33s for around 5000- 8000 australian... from import wreckers dealers..

[ October 05, 2001: Message edited by: Zpeed ]

• 5 years later...

Stoney whats your web site? I'm also putting and RB30 in a 240Z, picked the engine up for $200 off ebay, has everything still onit. Just sold the L26 that was init. I just want to know how to fit the auto gearbox? will I need a custom mount? and it the commy gearbox, are they the same as the R31 skyline? Also heard the castlemain rod shop do the mounts but they are shithouse, this true?

Cheers. Nick