HybridZ

First Z(280Z), new to the threads, need some advice

iDev

Hey HybridZ members,

I'm new here and getting the hang of the way things work and I'm close to picking up a S30 1978 Datsun 280Z. It looks decent from the preliminary pictures but the engine has bad rod bearings. The owner is willing to part ways with the shell for $1.400.00 OBO or $2,200.00 with the engine and transmission. 

Since you guys know more about the Z, I'm wondering what are my options and routes that I could take without breaking the bank significantly, any rough estimates on repairs, what should I look for when checking out the car, any key specific areas or troublesome parts to inspect etc. 

Any tips would be greatly appreciated! Sorry if my post maybe a bit vague, I'm still trying to learn more things about this car. Thank you!

post-37075-0-79004500-1361768418_thumb.jpg

post-37075-0-25227100-1361849659_thumb.jpg

post-37075-0-09696600-1361849663_thumb.jpg

post-37075-0-58767700-1361849670_thumb.jpg

Edited by iDev

I recommend getting the car with the engine and transmission so you will have less unknowns about how to rebuild or replace the engine. $800 is a lot for a know bad engine however. For $2200 you can find a running car that is in decent shape. Unless the body is in VERY good condition you might want to keep looking. Certainly you need to look at the car in person in the daytime and take a good look at it. Check for rust.

@tamo3: My goal for just now is to get the car running.I was thinking about salvaging a L28 from another Z for now. I'll be working with at most 2-3K to get it running and fixing it little by little. 

@beermanpete: Will be looking at the car later this week, he says that there is minimal rust and that the body is straight with a pretty decent interior. Is there any particular area I should pay extra attention to? 

Thanks for the tips!

Thanks for the tip Six_Shooter.

I uploaded a few more pictures given to me by the buyer. He wants 1300.00. He claims it's 9/10 body with the interior being 7/10. Is this a decent price for a rolling shell with no engine or tranny? It's in decent condition. Any input? 

Well, I got my Z for $400. It didn't run and didn't have brakes but had everything to run. I put a couple hundred into it and got it to run and stop. However, I probably have a lot more rust than the Z your looking at and I had to throw out all my carpets because they were really bad. One of the perks of living in New England I suppose. I would definitely take a close look at it for rust and such and see if you can't get the engine and trans along with it. 

The body and paint are not complete or in good shape.  I would pass for that price. A complete non-running car I would pay no more than 500 bucks, assuming I KNOW what is wrong.  A running car in that condition I would pay no more than a 800 to 1000 depending on the interior. 

Think of it this way, it costs more in gasoline to haul one of these old L motors to the scrapyard than the money you get from the metal.  Why someone would want 800 for a broken engine is beyond me. 

Edit:  looking at the pics again, I say the figures above are high!  I'd offer 200 bucks for the chassis, and he pulls the engine, or 400 and you take the lot. 

Edited by rejracer