HybridZ

What to choose? Itb, tripples something else?

NorwegianZED

I am looking for good options on how to feed a 3.0l stroker. I have concluded that my dhla40 won't be enough, not even maxed out as they are now. By maxed out i mean they can't possibly send more fuel through.

I was thinking of dcoe 45 or 50, then i found out what that would cost me. And i am wondering how much would a complete itb setup cost? I would need everything that isn't on a stock n/a engine

What do you think?

I think they would cost nearly the same. DCOE might be cheaper but not much and you'll need to add jets to tune them properly.

ITB will also be more complex to run since you will need an ECU to control them with extra wiring & sensors. If you choose to do so, think also about ignition, this is where the potential of your engine is.

Depending on your cam, the ITB'S Weill deliver significantly more horsepower in the same bore size.

We went from 45DCOE's to 45ITB'S, and extended the power peak from 7,500 to 8,250, where we were making 40hp more than the DCOE's at that point, and 17hp more than the DCOE's at the former 7,500 power peak.

The car went from idling at 1,700 rpms to easily loping at idle of 900-950, we could idle down to 450 and still tick over reliably.

Starting and warmup in cold weather (0C) was no longer an issue like with the DCOE's.

You have to look at power peak and required sizes. If your power peak is crammed below 6,500 (seen more than one 3.0 with a 5,800 rpm power peak...) then a Holley on a four barrel manifold will do what you want (I picked my set of ITB's from a 3.0 owner who got no appreciable gains over his former Holley setup.)

Where is your power peak currently?

In our case, with 45DCOE's with a 7,500 power peak, the costs for 55 DCOE Webers was equivalent to new components and the EFI ECU... And we were rewarded handsomely.

We also then put those ITB's on out 2liter and made good HP at 9,500+ rpms... You won't do that with 55DCOE's!

Just my two kroners...

After talking to a few z guys today, i got two different answers. One says, that my 40s would do fine, arguing that it is a street engine.

This guy has spent years restoring these cars and owns and races them as well. Does custome work and in general knows what he is on about.

The other guy pointet me in the direction of very affordable options at www.jenvey.co.uk :) i am looking into that now.

I don't know how the engine runs, as it isn't in either my car or garage. I am only getting a basic engine, without any fuel deliverysystem at all. I can use what is on my l24, teeny tiny 40mm or i can sell that setup with one of the engines going out of the garage.

The engine comes with a mild cam i a mildly modified head, i have a very modifyed head with more aggressive cam on tha shelf.

Right nowni am leaning towards itb setup, but i am unfamiliar with what modifications i need to do to get it working.

I am not afraid of fabrication or electricity, but what i just don't know, can i stil run with dizzy ignition, do i need coil packs? Do i need sensors on the crank and cam? Do i have quick and easy options? And so on...

Still, i love my triples as they are on the l24. Aha... I think your experiences with itbs are compelling tony. Mmmmm. I better do some research, but i am betting i will end up with efi :)

Based on my budget, I went with DCOE45's. I seriously looked at ITB's, but it was $2000 just for the ITB setup minus injectors and aftermarket computer. I estimated almost another 2000$ for that. big injectors, bigger fuel pump, aftermarket computer, and ignition. I had a lot of things I needed to do still in my setup, and justifing andother 4000$ to do ITB was hard to do so it just wasnt going to happen for me. So I went the old school way and just did the triple 45's which ran me 1100$ jetted the way I wanted them, and 300$ for the manifold. I then went with an aftermarket coil on a wire ignition system for another 500$. All this was brand new, you may find good savings in the used area...

I would say take a look at your budget and what all going ITB entails, and then make a decision. If money was no object, I would have gone the way of ITB.

Edited by AZGhost623

I became so bored with well behaved fuel injected cars that keeping my Triples has been a real treat.

They still have a certain "I don't know what" - that sound.   That smell, the occasional* burps and moods.

I like the idea of the GSXR ITBs, but Megasquirt would probably be my only financial choice and reading those forums, life isn't all 12.5-14.7 for them either.

They struggle with Tip-in and various issues.

I love winding the crap out of my L28, might need to make one of them 9000RPM motors like TonyD gets to play with next.

That sounds fun.

I have heard... and I could be wrong, that they make a similar sound. although I havent found a youtube video of ITB's on an L28 at WOT yet. Most I find are just showing it off, and revving the engine a bit or with terrible sound/volume.

Edited by AZGhost623

You can't tell the difference between ITB's and Triples. They sound identical.

You haven't REALLY looked on You Tube then...

Search there on:

"Bad Day At El Mirage"

And

"9300RPM+ Shift Points"

By user "DemonoidCFH"

Or just about anything on user "Andrew Flagg" You Tube Channel...

But the audio is better on DemonoidCFH's videos.

If those aren't WOT Runs, I don't know what is!

I like "Bad Day" as a perfect example of what should happen if Jetting/Fueling is correct: you put it in the wrong gear (5th at 1,000 rpms for example) and it doesn't pop, shudder, cough, buck, or spit, IT JUST GROWLS and accelerates gradually till your airflow/camming/engine dynamic package gets back into proper synch and it starts pulling/accelerating like it should.