HybridZ

need help troubleshooting a height issue with coilovers on 260z

Hey everyone, hoping to get some input on a suspension issue I've been bothered by since I bought the car.

Car is a 74 260Z with AZC coilovers. The right rear of the car sits a good 5/8-3/4" lower than the driver's side rear with the coilovers adjusted to the same height (2 threads showing under both collars, almost at the lowest level).With the car jacked up by the diff, the right rear also seems to hang lower than the left.

I've measured everything I could think of. The springs are the same length, the threaded sections of the tubes are the same length, the overall lengths of the strut tubes are identical, as well as the overall length of the complete assemblies from top of the spring down to the bottom of the strut tube (when hanging). 

The gap between the fender and tire on the right side is about 3/4" smaller than the left with the car back on the ground. Could this be a body issue (something twisted) or am I overlooking something simple? I'd love to hear suggestions.

I had the right rear completely apart to check on the gland nut, which needed tightening. But this height problem was present before, and is still present after. 

Thoughts?

Thanks

A little more info as I scratch my head in the garage..

The car was built several years ago and the owner stated that they're Arizona Z Car coilovers, however, they look nothing like the new ones. They only have a single adjustable perch and collar and its the one the spring sits on. In pictures of current AZC offerings, there are adjustments for the spring perch as well as the actual strut tube, with collars for each. 

Should my setup even be used to adjust height, since in order to overcome this difference I wouldn't just be raising the car, I'd effectively (I believe?) also be altering the preload on the spring? 

Confused. 

Adjust based on measurements from ground to bottom of rocker panels. My car has had all four fenders replaced so who is to say it is straight. Also, your top seat configuration could be goofed up. But, it really doesn't matter. Adjust away! That's the beauty of coilovers and they don't have to all be the same.

You're only creating preload on a spring if you tighten up against an unladen spring.  That's typically not how a S30 coil over setup works.  Minor differences in where the lower adjustable spring perch is on the strut generlaly occurs due to differences in the length of the strut tube and where the welded on threadded collar support ring is on the strut tube.  Sloppy builders can oftehn be off by a 1/2" or more.

My measurements show the two struts are damn near identical. The tube lengths, threaded areas, and overall lengths are the same between the sides. It does not look like a sloppy sectioning job.

If the consenus is that I should just adjust the collars until the car sits level, I'll do that. It just seems odd, I don't wanna be missing something crucial here. The car sits noticeably crooked at the back, other folks have noticed too.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Edited by thedarkie