HybridZ

looking for a good deal on a mil vise

I doubt very many guys on the site own milling machines but many probably own a good drill press, and as anyone who owns either knows a good mill vise is about mandatory to allow you to drill or machine parts and that vise must be solidly bolted or clamped to the machine.

in my shop I sold my larger drill press and purchased a true mill, similar to this

g9901.jpg

It came with a mill vise that looks like this one below but its max open jaw spread is a bit over 3" and I need a larger mill vise that will open a minimum of 6.5"

gsb1250.jpg

http://www.grizzly.com/products/6-Lockdown-Milling-Vise/SB1250

millvise1.jpg

g9630.jpg

Id also prefer a large vise thats  able to be set  to hold angles if I must spend a great deal of cash

BUT AT $560 PLUS ITS A QUITE a BIT MORE EXPENSIVE THAN I REALLY WANT OR CAN AFFORD TO PAY

so Im asking for ideas

Edited by grumpyvette

Ive been in similar situations in the past.  I've also confirmed the old adage is true:  Buy cheap, buy twice!  :)

The quality on the unit you posted looks good from the picture.  The only way I see getting the functionality you get with the unit you posted is to buy cheaper, but in my experience the cheaper tools require dis-assembly, cleaning and proper lube upon purchase, and even then they never work as well. 

https://www.google.com/shopping/product/9196526982633331892?q=mill%20vice&hl=en&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_cp.r_qf.&bvm=bv.43148975,d.aWc&biw=1333&bih=892&sa=X&ei=X1o1UfXYGbOFyQHE5oDIAQ&ved=0CH0Q8wIwBDgU

Put a price on your time and frustration, especially knowing that quality tools do not lose value like cheap tools. 

Edited by rejracer

Ive been in similar situations in the past.  I've also confirmed the old adage is true:  Buy cheap, buy twice!  :)

The quality on the unit you posted looks good from the picture.  The only way I see getting the intentionality you get with the unit you posted is to buy cheaper, but in my experience the cheaper tools require dis-assembly, cleaning and proper lube upon purchase, and even then they never work as well. 

https://www.google.com/shopping/product/9196526982633331892?q=mill%20vice&hl=en&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_cp.r_qf.&bvm=bv.43148975,d.aWc&biw=1333&bih=892&sa=X&ei=X1o1UfXYGbOFyQHE5oDIAQ&ved=0CH0Q8wIwBDgU

Put a price on your time and frustration, especially knowing that quality tools do not lose value like cheap tools. 

while I totally agree ,that cheap tools are rarely a bargain, in the long term, and think about the true cost of cheap tools the 6" version of that vise is close to $760, I just wish I had a job I could depend on, that made me enought to make expenses and allowed a bit of cash flow for tools

http://www.tools-plus.com/wilton-11707.html

For a personal use milling vise I would go with a Jergens 80075 manual 6" vise.  Its $515 retail, I use then in production fixturing and have had good experience with them.  If you have the money Kurt vises are great but your starting at $1000 for a 6" manual vise.

For angle cuts you can angle the head of the mill or get a sine vise depending on the accuracy that you need.  I wouldn't get a sine vise for your main vise, they are not rigid enough for daily milling jobs.

Grumpy, I have a used mill vise with a swivel base that opens to 5.75". The mill it came off of looks very much like the one you pictured. I'll have to ask the guy I got it from the make of his old mill. I'll take some pics of the vice and base for you. I'd take $250 + shipping for both.

med_gallery_6_1220_1363322.jpg

med_gallery_6_1220_1291301.jpg

med_gallery_6_1220_1737274.jpg

med_gallery_6_1220_1303475.jpg

Use equipment! There are secondhand equipment vendors on e-bay that sell old American Machinists tools quite reasonably.

In fact, many shops that don't have manual equipment any longer may have stuff laying around they would sell off for shop beer fund money. I went to one shop for some work, noticed an 8 and 10" rotary table on a shelf in the back of the shop...

"Any plans for those rotary tables?"

Ended up walking out with the small one for $50. Nice, tight vintage unit, well used but not worn to the point it would cause tolerance issues on the parts you made in it. Some time with diesel fuel, a toothbrush, carb cleaner, grease and battleship grey paint and I got one hell of a nice nice 8" rotary table!

• 2 weeks later...

Grumpy, I have a used mill vise with a swivel base that opens to 5.75". The mill it came off of looks very much like the one you pictured. I'll have to ask the guy I got it from the make of his old mill. I'll take some pics of the vice and base for you. I'd take $250 + shipping for both.

med_gallery_6_1220_1363322.jpg

med_gallery_6_1220_1291301.jpg

med_gallery_6_1220_1737274.jpg

med_gallery_6_1220_1303475.jpg

I apreciate that offer a great deal, in fact Id jump on thayt if it would work, but like I stated it would need to open 6.5" as thats the minimum  size of the material I used to fabricate some custom components