HybridZ

Aluminum Series 1 hatch vents

bfg

I've started working on other emblems. The hatch vents aren't that exciting so I've moved on to the emblems I don't have. (which is most of them minus some poor condition roof emblems)

Here are a couple pics of the new molds I'm making for the FairladyZ" emblem and the Roof pillar emblem:

_DSC0009_zps854cfe48.jpg

IMG_20140304_180259_679_zps36bfa000.jpg

IMG_20140304_180244_533_zpsf58345d5.jpg

_DSC0004_zps61b92de4.jpg

Also, If anyone has dimensions for pin locations on the back of the fairlady emblem it would be very much appreciated.

Edited by bfg

At the moment I would like to make plans for selling some. I've been thinking I could sell finished versions as well as "clean up your own" versions for bit cheaper. I'll keep updating as I figure out the plan more.

_DSC0012_zpsd6434999.jpg

Heres the pillar emblem. I think I'm going to grind away the "Z" and make a new one. I'm not quite happy with how it came out. the rest of the emblem should work fine.

_DSC0013_zps75d710af.jpg

I appreciate all the interest. I'll keep you updated as things start picking up. I'm hoping to start casting within the next 2 or 3 weeks (hopefully) The weather's been quite a roller coaster over here.

They're very brittle. I've never tested them in outdoor conditions but I don't think the 3D printed material is intended for any use like that. Even if it was I wouldn't be able to print more than the one I have now. The company I work for only does printing for projects within the company. I couldn't go to them and say "I want 20 of these". These two badges were under the table essentially.

However, there is opportunity to make a rubber mold and cast them in a more durable plastic. I'd have to do some research but it would be possible get them in plastic.

Heres an example:

I had my original hood release knob cast into a mold. The knob you see on the left is a reproduction in a very durable black plastic. the aluminum one on the right is a casting I made of the one on the left.

IMG_20131202_171839_097_zpsabede45c.jpg

Edit: Just talked to the casting guy at my work. He's going to talk to a vender about which plastic was used. He also mentioned I might get a better price if I were to send it out to get casted. I like the idea of plastic emblems. They would be lighter but still retain the original look.

Edited by bfg

• 2 weeks later...

Heres the first attempt. I'm very happy with how it came out. I didn't spend too much time cleaning it up so it could use some more sanding and buffing. I'll be ordering more casting sand soon so i can do a few more tries.

20140326_1260_zpsca092db5.jpg

20140326_1259_zps11e1bb05.jpg

20140326_1258_zpsb339fb07.jpg

Yep! I wanted the measurements mostly for pin location. I already had the mold made before I got them so this emblem is a little bit oversized but the pins will be mounted later. Thanks again for those images.