HybridZ

Newbie says hello

meakin

Just thought it was about time I popped up to the surface and said hello, I've been lurkin' for quite some time now, generally just reading,learning and sometime laughing at some of the more humorous post's. You guys seem like a great bunch, and I always look forward to see whats new in the forums...keep up the good work!

I'm located in Denmark,Europe and I am currently restoring a 71' 240z...Most people here have never heard of the car, amd look kind of funny when they find out it's a "datsun" icon_rolleyes.gif Let me state straight away. I do not intend to do any mods of the more extreme kind just yet....for now I'm happy ,concentrating on doing a good of restoring it.....however I can imagine a future where I'll be thinking of a 280zx or turbo swap, who knows?...funny thing restoring a car, that I've never even tried driving yet, I've just always wanted one/was positive that it drove as good as I thought it looked..

Enough of my ramblings...Now you know I'm here and watching.. icon_biggrin.gif

Z ya'

Glad to have you. I participate in a 67-72 Chevy truck board as well and have been surprised to find a number of European members there as well. I thought only Americans didn't know what a "Datsun" was or wondered why it said 24 ounces on the side... icon_rolleyes.gif

Thanks for the kind words guys,

Drax, I'm located in a place called Aalborg in the north of Denmark, but have also lived in most of the rest of Denmark...(Keep in mind that this country is Reeeeally small... )I guess the reason you didn't see any cars over ten years old is because, here in denmark they put alot and I mean ALOT of salt on the roads in winter..... Salt+water+metal= Cars that tend to "dissolve"...Thats why my car is undergoing a "down to every last nut and bolt" disasembly.... If your gonna' do it...do it right icon_biggrin.gif

Meakin, welcome!! I have an early model 71 240z in Europe. I shipped it there 4 years ago. It is bone stock, aside from the glasspack muffler, and it is driven only in the summer when either my parents or I am there. It's quite a sight to watch my mother (nearly 60) drive away with the glass pack rumbling...Oh yeah "there" is in Finland. my mother's side of the family is all over there and I go every year. We have a good deal of farm land and the country (dirt) roads are a blast to drive on. It's kinda like rally driving, but you have to be careful because you don't know when someone may be coming the other way. It is rare that you run into someone... Anyway, as you said, noone seems to remember these cars over there. Oh well, their loss. "May the restoration gods shine upon you and your project!!"

Mike

Welcome, I learn alot here. speaking of dirt roads, you should see my drive way 1km twisting with a goog strait, i can get the truck up to about 100 kph before the flick side ways to miss the shed/workshop and then up the hill to home base. love It.

Hey meakin. I never did get up to Aalborg, I spent most of my time in Aarhus. Which reminds me that I want to go back again and see more. icon_smile.gif

Didn't the danish government pass a few laws that makes it very difficult (or expensive) to drive cars over a partcular age?

Drax, well come on over and we can have a couple.... icon_biggrin.gif regarding the danish laws about older cars, Well, right now, I can't think of any that annoy me to much regarding the age of cars. However, when it comes to doing any mod's for more Hp, they are very very restrictive. And also very confusing icon_rolleyes.gif I can't remember them word for word,off hand, but heres an example, it go's something like: If you intend to swap the engine, the new engine is only allowed to have Max 20% more Hp over the stock engine..any more and you have to pay a huge amount of extra tax! However they also state that this does not apply to most "bolt on" mods on a "normal" engine, porting ect. But then I get the feeling, that there definition of "Bolt on" on my defination, are miles apart ! icon_biggrin.gif. This is actually one of the reasons I joined you guys....kind of figured when the time comes, I'll translate all the laws I would have to follow, post them on this forum, and then kinda ask.."if you guys had follow these rules, what would you do to modify your engine?" icon_smile.gif I'm postive one can modify and get quite a lot of ekstra Hp, while still following the rules....I just need the imagination and knowledge...

Guest Anonymous

Welcome Meakin, lets see 20% over 150hp stock is 180hp. Anyone know how much the turbo L6 made stock (factory rating?)? Maybe slide in one of those and then tweak the boost after its been inspected. icon_wink.gif Then again, you probably have a better source of engines than we don't have here. Maybe even a turbo 4 cyl engine, find one what just nips under the limit, kick up the boost and hold on... icon_smile.gif

Oh well, when your ready give us a shout, theres never any shortage of advice here, most of it great excluding mine. icon_biggrin.gif

Regards,

Lone

The problem is that the danish (european version) made 200 hp stock because its without cat and emission equipment so it would be hard to convince them unless you run a stock exhaust with cat on a imported engine with documentation from the nissan importer.