HybridZ

Need help with turbo, cams, and head porting for my rebuilt L28ET

dpuma8

I have had my car in pieces for a few years now and I am really itching to get it done fast so I am opening the wallet to get  a lot of the work done.  I am hoping for some advice on how to go with my build and how much it will cost for the features you recommend. I am not a track racer but like everyone else, I would like something very fast but reliable.  I am using Megasquirt

Links would greatly be appreciated

1) I am reading about an isky turbo cam.  Is there a specific grind that is recommended?  How much and where can I get it?

2) Many people have the T3/T04e turbocharger and I have seen some talk about the GT series but I cannot find many that have those turbos on a L28et.  I am looking for ease of installing and do not want a lot of fabrication done or fitment problems.  Are the GT turbos the way to go or is it overkill?  I have a wastegate already welded on and had I think a T25 turbo on it (I will check when I get home).  With your choice, which wastegate actuator is needed for your recommendation?

3) How much head porting is needed and does anyone have good recommendations of a person or place who can do it?

1) Call isky and tell him your setup and he will recommend something. Price depends on if its something stock or something custom.

2)Stock turbo is a T3, not T25. The Garret GT30/35's are killer. If you have the money go with one. wastegate depends on how much boost you are going to run.

3)What kind of port work are you looking for? You can go with Rebello since he's closer to you. Spend a lot and he will figure the cam and headwork and give you flow charts and tell you exactly wehat turbo to use, or you can get it ported somewhere in local and then figure everything out yourself. If you want to use a place in Los Angeles, I know Eric's Racing does L series heads quite well.

Edited by BluDestiny

I don't have a stock turbo.  I have a T25 and it came with the car when I bought it but I will check it when I get home.

I am looking for 300 hp with room to grow if needed.  So which is best?  GT30 or GT35?

Not sure what kind of port work is needed.  I read a thread with Tony D commenting about how a turbo grind and port does wonders so I am trying to follow what he said.

Any other recommendations???

Blu Destiny has it. And while Isky is THE guy to go for in terms of REAL balls-out performance...

I don't think you will go wrong with Dave Rebello's Elgin Grind, his head work, and him setting up the head. That will easily support 500HP and be as docile as you wish on the street depending on your choice of turbocharger. A GT35R like JeffP is currently running bolted to an otherwise stock L28ET bottom end will twise upwards of 475HP to the rear wheels on C16 Racing Fuel. 

At altitude in Carson City Nevada, Jeff is currently running that setup to 15psi and running out of airflow resolution on his Ford Lightning MAF using Methanol Injection and 91 octane!

The setup by Dave, with a stock bottom end, a GT30 will make 300HP and 450ft-lbs of torque at 8psi through an intercooler. You have room to grow.

Dave is much less expensive than the alternative that has proven good in SoCal. Slover's head will run you around $2,400, and if you could get Nathan from BCG (with guidance from his dad) to do one the price was similar. Dave offers great value for the money and works well with you.

Really, at 300HP level...all this is overkill. Unless you want to do it as 8-9psi and rev to 7,000 as a limit. ITM pistons are only $250 a set and you can break a LOT of those to come up with the cost of one set of forged units! Jeff is pushing his to 7400 because he's Jeff. Likely his cam peaks around 8500, but because he never listened and didn't do a full pull at 8-9 psi to see the power peak, and because the GT35R runs out of air around 750HP, he is still pulling hard at 15psi and seeing load scalars equivalent to his prior 735hp runs at 17, 21 & 25 psi. Higher you go, the lower the HP Peak. 

Best will get this shedded, only you can decide that. If you only want 300, you don't need a GT35, and likely you will be better served by a GT30 or smaller. Go for early spool so you have USEABLE HP and Torque under the curve. Jeff P spools to full boost at 3,200 rpms, and pulls past 7,400. Were he to go with an rpm limited cam (peak around 6,800) and design the hot-side A/R I see no reason that with a GT30 and the smaller A/R you couldnt' have a car that spools similarly or slightly lower than stock (2,000-2,300rpms) at full boost, and runs hard to a power peak at 7,000. That is one hell of a linear power curve if the cam 'comes on' after boost threshold and it acts like a MUCH LARGER N/A engine!

Horsepower by Gerolamy is an hour away from me so I am assuming this is the Nathan from BCG that you are talking about.  He said the work alone is about $3300 for doing everything.  I am looking for a cam and will go with your GT30 recommendations.

Thanks!

I picked up a GT3071 for my car and decide to stay with an internal wastegate to minimum fab work and plumbing. I spent a lot of time researching before picking a turbo. I really wanted to tryout one of the Borg Warner EFR turbos but they seemed to be unavailable at the time. I too am only looking for about 300whp, but I wanted to maintain stock-like boost threshold. Should be dropping the engine back in soon and hopefully be back on the road in a couple months. I'm still I running a stock cam and head, but that will change soon if I'm not happy with how this engine performs. 

Ugh.....I am sorry guys but I can't figure out the best way to go.  I will mostly just be playing with it on the freeway.  i looked up Schneider Cams and they have three choices.  I do not care so much about drag racing.

http://schneidercams.com/turbocharged-3.aspx

I am hoping for a suggestion on exactly what I should get for the most fun for a freeway car.

So 2800-7000 RPM turbo cam with a GT35R a/r .82?

Or 2000-6400 RPM turbo cam with a GT3071 a/r .82?

I'm not racing my car either and I'm most interested in usable power like Tony mentioned. So what was important to me was early spool up and low end torque. With that being said I decided that a 0.63 A/R exhaust on a GT3071 should fit the bill perfectly for me. Then for ease of packaging I went with a 5bolt ford exhaust housing and ATP ultimate internal wastegate. For the compressor housing I got the compact 3" inlet 2" outlet. Follow the link below for where I ordered. I'm hoping this will build boost by 25-2800 and pull to 60-6500. I know my stock cam will be the limiting factor for now and expect it to run out of breath at 5800. I'm trying to find an A cam right now. 

http://www.atpturbo.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=tp&Product_Code=GRT-TBO-020&Category_Code=GRT

Edited by calpoly-z