HybridZ

Welding Aluminum Heads

DatRat

Hello - I want to have the combustion chambers of an N42 welded to create the "kidney shaped" chambers.  Does anyone know a reputable company or person in Georgia that has experience with welding aluminum heads?  If you don't know of anyone in Georgia I would consider shipping to someone with a good reputation for welding aluminum heads.

For those of you familiar with Georgia, I found a company listed on the web which is located in Fayetteville (Scott's Auto Machine & Parts Company).  I have never dealt with them, nor do I know of anyone personally that has used them for any machine work.  If anyone has dealt with this company, I would appreciate your feedback.

Thanks in advance!

Thanks Tony D for the quick response.

I contacted Carl at Paeco and he said they have never done this mod (welding the combustion chambers) to a Datsun N42 head.  He was very kind, he asked that I send photos of what I wanted done.  I probably won't do this because I would prefer someone that has experience with this particular modification to the Datsun head.

I am waiting to hear back from Slover's.  I'll keep this post updated. 

• 2 months later...

I can do the welding and straightening for you if you can't find someone. I have done it a number of times

Oh, I actually don't need to have welding or straightening done - I was using search to try to find some info about Kinetic Sunbelt and this thread came up in the results.  Good to know though.  If I had to redo my engine, I'd want to go with welding the head rather than milling a ton off like I did last time.  

Mike at Slover's contacted me regarding welding the combustion chambers on a N42 head.  The complete job they perform requires welding the chambers. replacing valve seats, blending and polishing the chambers, and surfacing the top and bottom. The cost would be between $550 - 600.  Mike sounded very knowledgeable with this modification. +++++

A multi angle valve, valve guide replacement, and porting would be an extra charge.  Slover's is definitely an option for me if I can't find a decent source on the East coast.

A gentleman named Gary Grimes was recommended by a local Datsun Z car racer.  Grimes Auto & Machine is a third generation shop in Alpharetta, GA.  I am told, on most days, you will find son, father, and grandfather (who is around 80 years old) working in the shop.  Sounds like a true racing family!  I am going to pay a visit to their shop in the next week or so. 

It's also good to hear that Xkne is capable of performing this kind of work. An east of the Mississippi source.   

With regard to Jim Thompson's location, I can't say for sure.  I have done business with many Z car related establishments and Z car people that he has been associated with over the years: Balanced Performance Motorsports, Kinetic Motorsports (Sunbelt), and No MSG (Not on Main Street Garage).      

Thank to everyone that has made suggestions for the head modification!