HybridZ

Strange headlight/wiring issue

It would be helpful if you posted your headlight/wiring setup. As well as a voltage readings. 

Are they on relays? HID's?

Moving bulb style (HID bulb moves forward when receiving input from high beam), or regular bulb?

Without that all this is just assumption, but essentially what I notice is that the high beams dim with the flasher? If the bulb is the moving bulb style (can't recall name off the top of my head), it looks like you are sending power to the bulb to switch between high and low using the flasher signal. Either that or you are draining just enough power with the flasher that the magnet that pulls the bulb looses charge each time the flasher goes off, thus moving the bulb. Try it with the car running.

It would be helpful if you posted your headlight/wiring setup. As well as a voltage readings. 

Are they on relays? HID's?

Moving bulb style (HID bulb moves forward when receiving input from high beam), or regular bulb?

Without that all this is just assumption, but essentially what I notice is that the high beams dim with the flasher? If the bulb is the moving bulb style (can't recall name off the top of my head), it looks like you are sending power to the bulb to switch between high and low using the flasher signal. Either that or you are draining just enough power with the flasher that the magnet that pulls the bulb looses charge each time the flasher goes off, thus moving the bulb. Try it with the car running.

The housings control high/low since we use a single filament bulb.  Here are some semi-detailed diagrams to give you an idea of how the wiring works. There was some modification to his stock harness with his engine swap so I'm unsure of his exact setup.

post-1991-0-04404100-1363906208_thumb.jpg

post-1991-0-85684800-1363906325_thumb.png

Edited by bens1088

There we go, single filament bulb with housing control. I have the same setup, but from a different source. Only trouble shooting I can give over the internet is:

1. Try the same with the car running and a voltmeter (please provide voltage readings). If the problem goes away it is the flasher which is draining too much power, replace flashers (the solenoid), or better yet replace them and run them off relays as well.

2. Unplug the housing control. If the problem goes away the housing control is loosing voltage or seeing voltage from another source (I can't recall if the circuit is an always on or always off for the high beams, I would imagine they are always off). Find the source of the drain or surge, and fix.

My charging system is fairly new, with a new battery, new wiring, higher output zx alternator, and my voltage still drops 1.5-2 volts when I'm using the flashers.