HybridZ

Blown Turbo Suspect injectors

MaTTSuN

Weekend projects are great, Mine started with taking the turbo and exhaust manifold off to fix the exhaust leaks

Then i found out that the turbo had allot of shaft play... Not putting that back in. 

I have a Holset HX35w that ive been waiting to put in so no big deal, just a bunch of fab work

Looking in the exhaust ports i found that ports 1,2,4 are white and 3,5,6 are black

Also the inlet and outlet on the turbo are white so the leanness is winning by the time it hits the turbo

I've been trying to lean out my regular driving AFR's with my mega squirt 14:1 out of boost 12ish in boost 

Do you think i have bad injectors or just a bad tune? the white exhaust scares me a little

My fuel rail looses pressure as well so i have been suspecting i have leaky injectors as well, im going to pressurize the rail with the manifold off the engine to check that and see what happens 

maybe the same injectors are leaking...

Matt

post-675-0-43958200-1364060285_thumb.jpeg

post-675-0-89971300-1364060292_thumb.jpeg

post-675-0-75518000-1364060300_thumb.jpeg

Im pretty sure its batch but ill have to investigate further when i get this turbo installed

I did a check on my injectors, they do not leak. I suspected this because my fuel pressure drops when i turn the car off. It goes back to normal pretty quick when the pump goes on so this seam ok on that front...

post-675-0-44806100-1364090507_thumb.jpg

None of the diagnosis is correct IMO.

AFR's indicate you get enough fuel.

"Leaky Injectors" have never been a factor for rail loss in any vehicle I've checked. Fuel pump check valve more often than not. See EBay vendor "Toolman's World" - he sells a 5/16" check valve replacement kit for inline.

White cold be an injector issue... But white smoke is likely a head gasket leak--are the plugs clean on 1,2,3 and black on 4, 5, 6?

I agree, "I though" it was leaky injectors but have not had a chance to check this way until now

I dont really see a problem with it leaking down when the engine is off. Is there a downside to this?

I havenet taken the plugs out yet it was 124 and 356 that were different 

The AFRs are across all cylinders as well so is just an average so its hard to tell what each cylinder is doing... without checking plugs, ill take a look today and take some pics

Hard restarts and vapor formation during summer months with a beyotch restart unless you got humongo priming pulse time!

Check your plugs, Luke...these aren't the symptoms you're looking for, move along!

• 3 weeks later...

its not consistant tho

there is no smoke from the exhaust

no milky oil

everything seamed to run fine before i shut it off 

if you look at my exhaust ports at the top 1,2,4 are white but the plugs tell a different story 1,6 are white and 2,3,4,5 are black...

I was just tossing in my two cents. I just replaced the head gasket on my L28et after experiencing similar issues. Car ran well, the AFRs were good, and the oil was clean, but it would occasionally puff some white smoke/steam at idle. After pulling the head off, the metal ring on the #1 cylinder was cracked down by the water jacket and oil passage. It wasn't a catastrophic failure, like you would think it would be, just enough to cause problems. I never bothered looking at my exhaust manifold, but I think they were all nice and carboned up.

You can try looking in the plug holes and see it there's anything unusual. My #1 cylinder had some wet goop on top of the piston (and that plug).

Looks like 1 and 6 are showing detonation damage, 2,3,4,5 are showing a rich condition.

New set of plugs in, swap injectors on 1 and 6 to 2 and 3, drive it around a little and see if it chews up another set of (expensive, since you're using iridiums) plugs.

The standard copper-core plugs work just as well as anything else I've tried in my L and the turbo L here. I've got a set of single platinums in there now that are currently there for "testing" purposes...so far I'm getting worse mileage with the platinums than with my old copper-cores.

Could just be some silly tuning; which is also always possible with me...

Interesting,

Im temped to pull the head of for further investigation and just swap the head gasket for good measure. If i go that far and everything looks ok i may just re ring the pistons while im at it...

Head gasket is only a couple years old and i havent put allot of miles on it so ill prob leave it as is and keep a closer eye on the plugs 

I tried the iridium plugs but didn't notice anything better as far as performance, ill go back to reg plugs when everything goes back together.

For the injectors im going to get them cleaned, we will see how much crap comes out of them. Ill be sure to post picture of the cleaning. 

I have head studs so ill re-torque everything down a little tighter as well and see how it goes

Id like to upgrade my ignition to EDIS as well but thats after the basics are sorted 

Matt