HybridZ

Adding 2nd water temp sensor

duragg

Need a 2nd water temp sensor / sender for my eFans.

I have the stock temp pickup in the front of the T-stat housing.

Where ideally would one mount the 2nd pickup?

There are 2 other unused bungs I see in the T-stat housing, both face drivers side if I recall.

One on top, one on bottom.

Anything else to consider in this area?
Tj

The directions that came with my electric cooling fan gave me two options.

first, if I decided to use that brass probe, they'd recommend putting the probe as close to the inlet to the radiator as physically possible.

The second option, which I opted for, was a 3/8 npt adapter, which also came with the fan. I tapped the housing for 3/8 npt and mounted it in the housing, as you were thinking.  (bottom right of the thermostat housing)

photobucket-36412-1364860172353_zpsd2524

I'd just be really careful tapping the housing if you decide to go this route, as they are pretty brittle sometimes, and one slip of a drill can pop a hole in the side of one pretty quick. Ask me how I know :)

Edited by OldAndyAndTheSea

Not sure whether you could or would want adopt one or not but wasn't' the stock 280zx injector cooling fan temp sensor in the heater hose with a 2 wire set up? Might be able to use an old stock one in the hose easily to turn the fan on? If not use a 280zx style thermostat housing with all the spots on it you could tap quite a few sensors in if needed.

Edited by motomanmike

Radiator Hose Mounting for both?

I used Suzuki Switches on Suzuki Bungs in the bottom of my lower radiator tank. Protected and easily done when recoring. Just some brass fittings the shop had and out I went to find appropriate switches.

Well I was trying to use the fancy BMW dual-temp switch which is supposed to go Stage 1 at 80c and Stage 2 at 90.

It has M14x1.5mm threads. 

Tony what do you mean hose mounting?  You mean one of the bulbs that goes into the hose and water stream?

I have now 3 distinct kits in my hand

1)  Push into the radiator kind which is even too hokey for my bad taste,

2)  Bulb in radiator to a variable controller kit which still seems kinda hokey,

3)  Threaded sensor which goes into the T-stat housing or the block somewhere.

Like all simple things there are 500 options and 15 setbacks.

Example, the URO BMW 2 temp switch marked 80/90 is actually kicking on at 90/100. 

I am thinking at the hottest temp spot-the Tstat housing is still the best location if I can get a temp sensor that works as it should.

I am having the same dilema as well, trying to find thread sizes and a spot to put two sensors (one for a gauge the other for MS). Then I realized.... what a dummy, can't I just connect two wires to the sensor and send them to whatever it is I need? Maybe not that easy, I haven't looked into it too hard.

Some sensors sending load or resistance, others binary (more than 160f / lower).

I suspect something like MS is expecting a clean signal, any noise cpild make it angry.

Especially for a variable signal, go dedicated.

Thats a neat idea. 

Spin up a section of tube and weld some bungs in it for all the sensors a man could want.

They sell them prefab, my original sensor location was using two-pin sensors (key here!)

If you plan on using one-pin sensors that depend on a ground circuit through physical connection to the engine (like the stock gauge sensor) then provision a grounding stud or screw hole to run a 14 gauge wire back to something on the block or chassis!