HybridZ

water temp sensor to gauge wire

Can anyone tell me which side of the car the water temperature gauge wire to sensor is on? Does it come out on the passenger side of the car or the driver side?

Also, the Color wiring diagram for my model says its a yellow wire with black stripe. Dont got any of those. I have some cream looking wires that may have been yellow at one point.... I hooked one up and apparently it had voltage on it, blew the sending unit right out of the water housing lol... so that one isnt it, capped off and put aside. Read over on classic Z that its a black on black wire. Got a few of those. Can anyone confirm what color wire im looking for?

A neighbor told me, you can check the gauge wire by grounding it out, it should then make the temperature gauge max out. Is this true, or just on specific chevy models he is used to working on? :) I assume if thats the case, there must be a very low voltage on the wire to make that work? Thats easy to check with an ohm meter if thats the case.

Thanks! 

Not sure what color is for a 76 , my 78 has yellow wire for temp. sender . And your neighbor is correct about testing the gauge ( quick test ) . Gauge will sweep one way when unplugged and the other way when grounded ( single wire sender ) .

1976 280Z FSM - Body Electrical, page 34 (BE-34) shows Yellow/White from the gauge (dash harness) to C5 (Green connector) on the junction block.  The junction block is in the passenger footwell so it must exit the firewall with the body harness and run up the passenger side of the engine bay, across the radiator core support and back down the drivers side with the coil wiring and etc.  It's bundled in that vicinity with other wires attached to a 4-pin plug, from the 4-pin plug it goes yellow to the Temp Sender...  That's how it was stock anyway.  FSM dude...

You probably connected the BCDD wire instead.  There's a three wire connector in the same area, if someone's had the wiring apart, the length of wire that goes from that connector, below the stock coil location, up and over to the sender might be missing.

The wiring diagram will show youwhere the wire colors change also.  Sometime colors change at connection points.