HybridZ

Going to Dyno -any pointers?

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's the numbers. The tuner: Lane Culvard of Huntsville, AL (he does the tuning for HinsonSupercars) thinks somebody already worked on my computer because it was so good right out of the box. I had previously sent computer to waitformeperformance.com for a flash, but when I first built my car Lane said they had failed to remove the security system, so I kind of wrote them off. Maybe they were ok after all. Anyway, my baseline was 401hp at 5600 and 428 tq at 4200. I asked Lane to try to make the motor engine brake better for autocross and he said that would cost me some hp and he warned me that the numbers on a hot engine are often down a few hp over a cool motor since it was the second pull. He did something to the idle airflow tables (whatever that is) and said the engine was a little too fat on the top end. We left the upper rpm limiter at 6700 and he advised me to have the shifts done by about 6200-6300. Final numbers were 398 hp at 5450 and 435 tq at 4150. This was all on a Dynocom dyno. His printer is broken so I will post cell phone pics of the charts and graphs and a very noisy but not terribly informative video tonight. So what's next. Just gonna try to keep it together doing repairs as needed thru the summer and try to become a better driver in both drag and autocross. Next autocross is May 18. I'm joining cobramatt in Atlanta on June 1 for a day of road course one-on-one instruction. This winter is gonna be all about chassis trying to get the car safety certified to 135 rules in the 1/4-mile. Who knows, maybe ill fix my doors, heater, wipers and get the speedo working. Maybe the year after I will have enough money saved for cam/intake/nitrous all in one fell swoop. For now, I just want to change tires regularly. I'm pretty happy with the car as it sits.

Lane said an intake was worth 15hp, a cam 50, nitrous 125. At what point would I be spending more time replacing axles than driving? If you watch my videos, I'm chirping the slicks with each shift. Gotta stop that, perhaps reducing my clutch pedal height a bit will help since the disc has broken in.

I think a reliable car is worth a lot.  The love / hate thing with my projects seems to accure enough with redo's and unexplained glitches.  And if good choices still allude I could always count on my ex to give me the answer I didn't want to hear!

I want to graduate from TnT to actual racing, but I'm afraid the car will never be competitive bracket racing and I want to race all night if going to the trouble (and catch the grief from home) of loading up and going to the track. I think I can work my way into the Grudge Racing scene which has 6.0, 7.0, and 8.0 classes. I should be competitive in the 7.0 class, especially when air temps climb. I guess it is sort of a bastardized form of bracket racing. Evidently you still lose if you breakout, so I should still practice as if bracket racing. I may still throw some money at bracket racing knowing that I will probably only get one run after qualifying. Qualification lasted 5 hours this Saturday.

Lane's shop is on a long gravel driveway so I didn't do a test drive. Just got car off trailer at home and did a test drive here. The engine braking is better but not dramatically so. The rpm falls, but there is a delay of about a second whereas it used to take several seconds. . According to the guy giving me autocross pointers: that's not quick enough to cause the kind of weight transfer i need without hitting the brakes. The whole idea is to make the car super sensitive to throttle lift oversteer in order to help with turn-in.  With the car orignially, after lifting the throttle, the car slowly lost rpm to idle over several seconds.  I want the car to immediately drop to idle.   I need to call Lane tomorrow to see if that can be further tuned. Hope it doesn't cost me another $300.

In the video, I see a little puff of smoke under the car toward the end of the dyno run.  I'm not sure if the wind in the dyno shop is blowing a little tire smoke forward or if the driveshaft u-joint has slung a little grease onto the exhaust.  After car was shut down, no source of the smoke was found.

post-5903-0-21815100-1368505607_thumb.jpg

post-5903-0-88886800-1368505617_thumb.jpg

Edited by RebekahsZ

I'm sure your method has more merit than our primitive, Idea of the moment . My friends car was a stock 74 camaro automatic, and tended to snowplow in the tight corners so a quick momentary back brake lock would pitch the rear around . What was funny was it actually worked well enough to take a 2nd place in a open class of cars we should of got stomped on.     I would say no great feat thou considering in the 80s the club she belonged to was more of a social casual event, not hard core racing.

Thanks m1noel!  You were my first really helpful "mentor" for the project, remember way back when?  This motor does have an underdrive pulley, plus no cats, minimal exhaust, no A/C, no P/S.  Still has the same junkyard sparkplugs.  I really expected the drivetrain to eat up more power.  Do you have the same issue that I do about throttle run-on?  I wonder if it is a DBW thing?

Engine braking should not be difficult to tune-in, and should not change WOT power output. I bet if they retarded your spark timing at very high vacuum and high rpm, you'll get all the engine braking you need.

I would clarify with the tuner exactly how they're trying to tune-in engine braking...

Thanks, Leon.  Unfortunately the tuner is 2 hours away and he can't hear his work phone when he is dynoing a car.  Now answer machine.  I just have to sort of keep trying.  I did get in touch with one of his hired men and he said my request didn't seem like it should be a problem.  There is an autocross 20 minutes from where his shop is this Saturday.  I'm gonna try to drive bribe the officials to let me drive the first session, work a little, then go visit the tuner across the second half of the second session and across lunch.  Then maybe I can drive in the second afternoon session.  I hope they are cool and don't treat me like a free-loader.  I always wait to load my car until after I have picked up cones at the end of the day.

I dunno. I think he is kind of stealth on his craft. For example, we talked a little about cams and who's cam he likes. He says he gets everything done custom from a cam grinder and wouldn't discuss any specs. He said he could save me a lot of money that way. If I ever do a cam, I'm gonna do something pretty aggressive rather than fooling around with something mild. Perhaps he will be different when I schedule an appointment and have cash in hand.

I dunno. I think he is kind of stealth on his craft. For example, we talked a little about cams and who's cam he likes. He says he gets everything done custom from a cam grinder and wouldn't discuss any specs. He said he could save me a lot of money that way. If I ever do a cam, I'm gonna do something pretty aggressive rather than fooling around with something mild. Perhaps he will be different when I schedule an appointment and have cash in hand.

Run away. I have no time for people that secretive that I'm spending money with.  Its not a goddamn pro stock drag car.