HybridZ

what do you guys think about this?

I proceeded to change my oil pump and pickup tube today due to some low oil pressure readings and i found this. The oil pump looks like its in perfect shape.

These bits seem to be "welded to the pan"

1A02AA27-24A3-452A-859A-09E7CC893ACC-340

5A22DA9E-2F7F-4437-85D4-178CCABADD2F-340

193F118C-40D1-4C8A-A6A2-6546CA3CF417-340

I know its difficult to see but the oil is greyish and slimy here

83650930-07BB-4B9B-818D-F3D8F41E860C-340

77EA8998-2328-4B2A-A6AE-882C34BAF980-340

Edited by CrayZ

When you have oil press. problem on the LS motor , more often the pick tube o-ring is the cause ( sucking air ) . All LS pans are like that , not very smooth . Poor casting . What is that junk on the last photo , metal or ?

If it were mine the engine would already be out. But it doesnt look like bearing material more like piston rings or casting material. Did you use a new engine?

Man , you have way too much time on your hands . Get back to your rearend . LOL

Yeah I've heard of the pickup tube issue that's why I changed the pump and pickup tube. I cleaned the pan, put fresh oil in it and well see if it continues. The motor was a junkyard take out btw.

And a little less than one oil change. If it doesn't smoke and sounds fine, what have you to lose-keep beating it. Seriously, you spent less on your whole car than I did for just my engine and trans. Even with the high mileage engine, you still got a good deal. I have noticed that my motor uses a little oil (it pretty much only sees high-load use). Maybe the guy before you had the same issue and just added oil instead of changing it. The pan did its job of catching the sludge. Don't you love the o-ring gaskets!

Edited by RebekahsZ

To me it looks like a normal 100k mile motor that missed an oil change every now and then. Like the others have already said, change the O-ring, clean out the pan and drive it!

If you are paranoid, (I'd probaby do it as well), pull a conrod cap and take a look at the bearings before buttoning thinks back up.

Joe

I ended up cleaning out the pan, changing the oil pump and tube and checked the oil pressure. It was back up to 40-45psi at idle. I didnt think to check the bearings while I had the pan off but I'm thinking the same as rekahsz.. If it blows, it blows. It still runs fine with no smoke or signs of fatigue. For 5500 it was a steal of deal even though Ive dropped well over 5k Into it since Ive had my hands on it. I wanted you guys to give it a look see and tell me what you all thought about it. I. The mean time here are a few pics of the engine bay :)

238AEF82-74C1-446A-9D81-76899B53054E-340

98314177-E092-4CB5-A7BC-6F291884C114-340

This weekend she got new blue top injectors, fast 92 intake manifold, bbk TB, valve covers, melling oil pump, pickup tube, fuel rail covers. After a tune, fresh dual exhuast, fuel cell and LCA's and she'll be ready to roll again.

Looks good . But i'd do something about your cold ( hot ) air induction , route it in front of the radiator . You don't want hot air going into your intake .

It's a temporary fix for now. The hole is cut to run it up front I just haven't ordered the tubing to get the filter out in front of the radiator. Now that you said that ill probably order it tonight.

Man , you have way too much time on your hands . Get back to your rearend . LOL

Ya maybe i can have my engine out and on the stand in 1 hour. The rear end is in the car now she just needs some reinforcing and stronger springs.

and dom needs to bring me some fender flares

Edited by mattd428